Prison 'gun smuggler' jailed

A PRISON employee smuggled a loaded gun into a jail in an alleged plot to kill mobster Lewis Moran, a court has heard.

The gun was found in the cell of a convicted kidnapper in 2003.

The prison worker allegedly handed a package containing the gun to the kidnapper in the presence of a road-rage killer who was a close associate of gangland murderer Carl Williams.

Crime patriarch Lewis Moran, 58, was slain the following year at the Brunswick Club. Williams, 36, was jailed this month for organising Moran's murder.

The County Court heard that several people could be charged over a conspiracy to kill Moran while he was in custody.

A former Port Phillip Prison employee who smuggled the gun into the prison has been jailed for at least two years. A judge said the man was motivated by the "lure of easy money".

The court heard that the former prison employee also moved drugs, including methamphetamine, ecstasy and cannabis, into the prison system for several prisoners between January 2000 and July 2006. He received $500 to $1000 each time.

In 2003, the man was paid $2000 to smuggle two packages -- one containing the loaded gun -- into jail. He did so at the request of a gangland figure, the court heard.

He later told police that he had believed the prisoner he gave it to needed a gun for his own protection.

But police investigations found that the real purpose for the gun was allegedly to kill Moran, the court heard. "It is not suggested, in your case, by the Crown that you were aware of that conspiracy or you were a party to that conspiracy," the judge told the man.

The man's barrister argued that he was not certain he had even taken a loaded gun into jail in what was "wilful blindness rather than actual knowledge".

But the judge said he was satisfied that the man was told he was taking a gun into the prison.

The prison employee was told "some idiot wants a gun in there", the court heard.

He later told police the convicted kidnapper was in fear of his life "and basically wanted to scare anyone who came near him or attacked him".

The judge said the man was in a position of trust and had used his knowledge of security measures to avoid detection.

"You took a gun into a prison knowing the danger this placed other persons in, whether they be prisoners, employees or prison officers," the judge said.

The judge said he was satisfied that the prison worker had taken the gun behind bars for financial reward.

"What is clear is that a message must be sent to the community that such criminal offences will not be tolerated by the courts," the judge said.

The employee did not care what drugs he took into the prison provided he was paid for his services, the judge said.

He said the man, who pleaded guilty to one count of trafficking in drugs of dependence, including methamphetamine, ecstasy and cannabis, possession of a general category handgun and possession of cannabis, had good prospects of rehabilitation.

He was jailed for four years with a minimum of two.

SOURCE

Edited by cannazine

pretty lenient sentence imo

May 25, 2007 12:00am

Article from: The Mercury

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,228...382-921,00.html

A RISDON Prison officer who was pivotal in a daring plot to help inmates escape using a gun will now spend a lengthy time behind bars himself.

Matthew David Dwyer, 29, of Brighton, was given five years' jail yesterday for his role in the conspiracy to break two prisoners out.

Police intercepted Dwyer on his way to the prison last April and found a pistol and drugs in his car glovebox.

He had earlier smuggled in drugs, a mobile phone and body piercing needles in exchange for $500.

===================

I agree

This screw got 5 years for the same kind of thing.

pmsl "A HERO" a dead c@#t is all he'll be he ratted on other prisioners to during the court. he wont last long. what a dick taking a gun into a prison system. just like drug smugglers hey carring herion into or out of countries that make it clear what the consiquences are....stupid people.... no amount of money is worth your freedom or life.

pmsl a hero...

the blokes a screw

at the end of the day hes the 1 that locks u in ya cell

hero...well ill be..never looked at it that way...

pretty lenient sentence imo

considering the circumstances

bil

Didnt realise he was a screw I just saw prison employee so I will take back the hero crap, but i'm sure he'll be just fine.

I should say I have no opinon of this man whats so ever and I was half joking. Its kind of like some guy goes to jail and makes the news, there all going to make a big deal about it, good or bad even if its short lived I mean what else have they got to do.

But what would I know :toke: