SA gangs growing super strength cannabis

CANNABIS super-strains up to 30 per cent stronger are being cultivated in South Australia by crime groups who travel internationally to "refine" their growing techniques.

The Australian Crime Commission's annual Illicit Drug Report released this month warned of a Canadian strain being introduced in Australia through links with Vietnamese crime groups.

The report said there were indications Vietnamese Australians had travelled to Canada to refine production techniques.

Inspector Greg Englert, intelligence co-ordinator for New South Wales Police's Asian crime squad, recently highlighted the British Columbian strain in the Australian Police Journal.

"It has been around for four to five years and is certainly very strong," he told The Advertiser.

U.S. Customs said the strain, known as BC Bud, has a THC level of 30 per cent compared to about 4 per cent in common strains.

The amount of THC determines the potency and effect of cannabis.

Australian police estimate the yield as being five to seven times more than outdoor cannabis.

A single plant can produce 24 ounces with a much shorter cultivation time than other hydroponically grown strains.

The number of Asian-operated hydroponic cannabis grow-houses dramatically increased in NSW between 2002 and 2006 after starting in South Australia.

NSW introduced specific legislation and police operations to successfully combat the problem.

"The phenomenon in South Australia was already happening in Adelaide, with not just Vietnamese but other nationalities and other groups, that then spread to NSW," Inspector Englert said.

SA Police's Superintendent Paul Dickson, officer in charge of the drug investigation branch, said there was no specific trend towards stronger strains of cannabis. "Police intelligence does not indicate the same level of criminality in South Australia . . . as in NSW," he said.

Author: SAM RICHES

Date: May 26, 2007

Source: The Advertiser

Copyright: 2007 News Limited.

CANNABIS super-strains up to 30 per cent stronger are being cultivated in South Australia by crime groups who travel internationally to "refine" their growing techniques.
What a crock of shit, why would these gangs bother with stronger mj when they will still only get the same price per pound and why would they travel for the seeds when they could get them sent over the same way we do?

lol

all i can say is i thing customs have been smokin weed to come up with such a far feched cock and bull story

i was waiting for it to start with "once apon a time in SA" and end with "they all smoked a bowl and lived happily ever after"

what a crock of shit

cheerz :Dj:

What they made one bust and found some packaging from a pack of seeds!!!

HAHA good advertisement for the strain to get busted with BC Bud posters all over the walls so one cop would figure out the strain name.

Could be a kick back to a copper for naming there strain in a police report this being in a zone that they arnt allowed to advertise????

More likely BC Big Bud for the size and 30% bigger buds as i read somewhere not more potent THC and the noob coppas have it all wrong like usual

Ive just been thinking of getting that one ....

Edited by Shithappens

ummm i dont know if im right...but i blieve hemp growing laws prohibits hemp from being grown with more then 5% THC due to the fact it doesnt get you high at that level, so if im right...this report is wrong (because if 5% isnt gonna get u high....4% isnt gonna come close

i have heard of this super smoke from Canada, but i heard it was due to a new process in growing it, not the strain