Opinions Appreciated

Hi all,

fairly new to the indoor scene and would appreciate opinions from more experienced indoor growers than I. I have come across the following light online and would like to know what people think about the light and wether it would be any good for cloning and / or seed raising. I'll try to add the info and then include the link at the bottom - this is an Aussie business.

Very Big Compact Fluorescent Spiral $45.00

http://lightingpro.com.au/catalog/images/bigfluro.jpg

Click to enlarge

Not the worlds biggest compact fluorescent lamp but nearly. This lamp uses only 85 watts but punches out an amazing equivalent light output of a standard 425 watt incandescent lamp.

Huge 10,000 hour life

It is not going to fit into a standard fitting, but it is not that big either.

This compact fluorescent lamp is approximately 110mm wide and 225 mm long including the base.

At present we have Bayonet Cap (BC) Daylight colour in stock but have an Edison Screw (ES) adaptor available.

If you are looking for a lot of light at an economical hourly rate, then this lamp is for you.

http://lightingpro.com.au/catalog/product_...4e27691a1246b05

Any opinions greatly apprecited as I'm thinking of buying a couple but don't want to blow my money if they are no good for the job. :scratchin:

That's monstrously sized! And it runs on a bayonet fitting? Lots of strain on that socket if you ask me...

But yeah, would be suitable, although quite a bit of light there. You'd be well advised to find out if it's a "daylight" or "cool white" or "warm white" spectrum, and if you can get any lumen ratings from em.

But yeah, I've used the 48w kind for mothers and clones and since moved up to a 130w spectrum lamp... so suitable, if not ideal IMO.

Still can't get over the socket size... geez that would worry me.

Thanks for the replies - sorry for the ignorance Tom - but what's an ES fitting?

Cheers

P.S. - beacuase it states "This lamp uses only 85 watts but punches out an amazing equivalent light output of a standard 425 watt incandescent lamp."

Would that mean only 85 watt load? Is this too much for a bayonette?

And sorry Tom - I just saw ES stands for Edison Screw DOH!!

Edited by splatt

It's the weight of the globe. ES means edison screw, the other kind of socket fitting (now considered generally obsolete in oz) for incandescent lamps.

I'd personally be looking for a lamp with a mogul fitting.

The equivalence thing is about comparing to an incandescent, which is pretty misleading. Incandescents are incredibly inefficient, with less than 10% of the total energy input coming out as light. So whilst it puts out the equivalent of 425 watts of incandescent light, that isn't much to begin with really....

But yeah, I agree with tom, I'd feel more comfortable with an ES fitting if possible, and get a good socket too with some support chain for the socket.