In the thread Cannabutter?, horton asked some questions about Cannabutter...

Chev's reply got me curious...

Ok, you can use the MJ green or dry, doesn't matter. I use at least 2 ozs of kiff (small bud/leaf) to about 500grms of butter. Fill a large pot at least 1/2 way with water and add the butter, bring it to the boil. Then add your pot, you can break it down a bit and chop it up to make it fit a bit easier. Bring to the boil again, then drop it down to a simmer. Cook for at least 3 hours, I don't go longer than 5 or 6. Get yourself a pair of stockings, and strain your mixture into a pyrex dish or large dish of some sort. Make sure you squeeze all the butter out of the leaf matter, otherwise you'll leave most of the THC behind. Toss the leaf matter when you've squeezed as much out as you can, and put your mixture into the fridge until it sets hard on top (couple of hours or more). When it's set, drain the mucky water out that's under the butter layer and you'll be left with some nice green butter :thumbsup Enjoy, I've made many a good anzac bikkie with butter from the above method.

What I would like to know is, can you cook/stew the mj, and then add the butter AFTER you have removed the mj? Or does it work better the way Chev has explained it?

Mere curiousity at this point since I have nothing to experiment with... lol

Cheers.

lol ~M.

no you definitely need to cook the mj and butter together. if you boil the mj in water then remove it, there will be very little thc in the solution that is left as thc is not water soluble. also, the butter needs a long time to absorb the maximum amount of thc, this is why a long cooking period is good. when I make butter I make a day of it and keep it simmering for 10-12 hours. the trick is to not pass out and let your butter boil dry overnight... lol

One thing i do when making the butter is do a pre soak of the all matter that u are going to be using for butter, half fill the pot with boiling water and place all the mj into the water and let it soak for at least an hour before you start your cook, after the soaking time dump all of the green water and refill with clean water then start the cook.

What this dose is get rid of a lot of the green taste that u can get with butter when u make it, works a treat for me...

all the guides i ever found to make butter including the ones on this site said boil the butter weed and water for ten minuter and i tried it once didnt work at all so now i know you need to boil it longer

just saying this incase any of you come across the guides ive seen.

it deffinatly did not work after ten minutes at all

all the guides i ever found to make butter including the ones on this site said boil the butter weed and water for ten minuter and i tried it once didnt work at all so now i know you need to boil it longer

just saying this incase any of you come across the guides ive seen.

it deffinatly did not work after ten minutes at all

you notice the colour of the water after you pour it off after 10 minutes? Its green isn't it? As long as its green its working to some extent.

the 10 minute quick soak does work, the trick is you gotta repeat it 2-3 times until the water runoff is a very light green (it will be dark for the first couple of runoffs) and make sure its hot water.

So instead of one long soak like ozmade suggested, I prefer a series of quick soaks. :scratchin:

Edited by pipeman

Those electric crockpots are handy for butter (crookpots). Shopping bag of trim, level water, 500gms of butter, lid on and leave it on low all night. Strain out in the mornin :scratchin:

I have something likt that sort of... It's an old Sunbeam deep fryer complete with basket thing. It's just like those electric frying pans only round and with tall ass sides. It's currently being used as our saucepan sort of coz we don't really have a kitchen as such. THAT fryer/saucepan is supposed to be my double boiler for making candles! B)

But is is what I planned to use to make some cannabutter... One day, hopefully... B)

Cheers.

:freak: ~M.