can a plant be harvested in 2 stages?

If a plant has been vegged maybe a little too long and only the end 14 to 16 inches of each branch are thick

and full of bud but below that line are hundreds of scraggy little hairy buds, would taking the top 14 to 16 inches away improve the size of the under buds if they were to keep going for awhile. If so, at what week would I cut the tops out and how much longer should the under buds go for.

any help appreciated

aussie1

yep i do this,

I will flush as per normal when harvesting... then just cut the mature buds out.. leaving the immature buds there... then lower the lights.. and straight back onto full strength nutes for the next 1-2 weeks then start flushing again... what Ive found is once you've added the initial batch of nutes.. all you'll need to do for the next 2-3 weeks is ad water... this is essentially flushing anyway... then when it comes time to harvest the second pick, dump the resi and start flushing as normal...