If I could be bothered searching my posts for an example as I'm to wacked and am suffering from "anti-motivational syndrome" :thumbdown: , I'm to lazy :freak: But I have consistently blabbed on that I don't think top shelf of today is as strong as exotic top shelfs of yesteryears and sometimes these were seeded however not seed crop seedy just a few,Griffith Mafia grass when at its best was deadly ,it was produced in what is essentially a desert ,and it was irrigated so that desert sun (all sun no cloud )really brewed it up of course primo strains helped as well. Your genuine Thai Sticks would have occasional seeds,it was often hard to find out where something came from when you were a young punk low down the pecking order but occasionally especially with super exotics you would find out and consistently ultra stone out "psychedelic" cannabis came from the tropics,and when you got canna from equatorial regions it always was of the ultra stone out variety,which has lead me to postulate that MJ from mountainous equatorial regions is the best of the best because of the specific light spectrum that occurs on the equator because that is the thinest spot in the atmosphere with additional extra different spectra that are specific to ALTITUDE so if the atmosphere is thinest at the equator and at altitude it is thinner still it leads to the conclusion that the extra UV that is definitely available on the equator as well as at altitude must be a huge factor as to why MJ from these areas is consistently good of course as well as superior genetics and as I am now strongly beginning to suspect mainly SATIVAS,which are hard to grow indoors for many reasons we here are well aware of.

When we scored primo hash back when it was commercially smuggled the stone was always described as a "body stone" and it slugged you out more than the average or top shelf green which I gather in retrospect where mainly Sativas and the good ones ,ones that really took you on a trip almost were never really the type that you would describe as "body stoners" they might floor you but for different reasons.

Most of the decent "hydro" is INDICA and crosses and rarely pure stone out sativas so there is a BIG difference to the stone most people experience today compared to yesteryear when hash was the main source of INDICA narcotic style can't leave the couch because your legs weigh a ton buzzes prevalent these days ,but I believe this is purely a reaction to indoor growing because its safer(was!) from ripoff(main worry) or bust and these squatter growing ,shorter season because of climate neccessity Indicas thrive in heading mode fairly well under lights as these Indica plants are acclimatized to an area that has very diminished light levels by harvest season just prior to the snows arriving. THC production is indisputably very effected by Light Levels,UV levels and types ,in the case of INDICAS as an additional THC driver I imagine COLD as protection from cold winds and in Equatorial Sativas(and I imagine Indicas grown there as well) more intense light levels and different unique spectra of light, and increased UV's and on top of Equatorial mountains UV and light intensity even more so. Ever been to the snow country in winter? You get sunburned BAD ,up mountains even in winter this is a product of several things in snow country including as OzStoner are well aware of ,Increased light levels due to reflectivity and thinner atmosphere at altitude.

He is on to something but he is WAY OFF MARK as to why this is the situation with MJ these days,I have donkey's years ago grown THAI STICK seeds under HID light and left them for 9 months to attempt to get them to ripen! Was it any good? YES :blink: but I doubt it was as good as the original outdoor TROPICAL grown Thai it came from but it was fucking good! :whistle:

PS I'll look in the garage as I think I still have a High Times from the late 80'/early 90's that had a bizarre article about a guy claiming NASA experiments with MJ in SPACE and other experiments adding PILES of EXTRA UV spectra and other exotic spectra ? There was mention of the type of lights involved in the extra spectra experiments and the guy referred to the cannabis producing a white powdery substance as well as resin or was a different type of resin produced maybe ! Probaly a made up stoners story but it was a far out read.

And what about THCV they say its an active analogue but is there more to THCV than the boffins are aware of,maybe THCV is ultra rare unless certain criteria causes greater production as there has to be some reason that tropical and more specifically Equatorial and both at alitude or mountain dope is special in buzz other than genetics! :yahoo:

I have always believed plants grown au naturale to be the most desirable; if that is outdoor and seedy, so be it! Science be damned, nature already has it figured out; it's an awesome plant, we can all agree with that. I want it as it's meant to be. And this kind of information does tend to confirm it in my mind.

btw, you should look into the thc-synthesis genes which have been recently transplanted into tobacco root cultures and made to exude thc in the presence of precursors.... The UVB thing is interesting, but it's not the whole and only story of THC generation.

Young Jedi, You always seem to have access to the most amazing information. Your coments on any subject always seem informed and well researched. I am glad you have waded into this discusion as it seems you have done it again. I have been attacking this subject from every angle I could think of, but had not come across anything that pointed at the THC-Tobbaco research. Any links to this would certainly be greatly apreciated.

Jess Stone, As one old timer to another(although I believe I am younger) I agree with everything you said to a T. My observations over the same period of time have paralelled your own in almost every respect exept maybe one. I too have grown killer Thai Budha from seeds off Thai Sticks from the seventies and eighties. The only difference being that I am still growing this very same strain today! It has only ever been crossed once 25 years ago to a very trippy Mullumbimbi Madness. I never considered that a real outcrossing as at that stage Mull was basically Thai anyway. I certainly didn't end up with much Pheno change or diversity from the cross. I mention all this because in all these years of growing this strain I have not come across anything that matches it in potency or quality of high.(Yes I have smoked some of the suposedly super strong Indicas and Indica x's. I don't consider something that throws you into the couch and keeps you there for an hour or whatever as a high.) Yet in all these years of growing this superb smoke I have only achieved tripping quality grass a couple of times and for the life of me I could never work out why those grows were different. It certainly wasn't genetics. This line of research has started to tie up loose ends for me. I live in victoria so closer to the hole in the ozone layer, hence high uv levels. I don't have the records to check back on those years but I have spent some years when it happened that I had the time available surounding my plants with mirrors. I would spend my days moving mirrors to keep our qreat Ausie sun focussed on my plants from every angle possible. I found that MJ could handle this just fine as long as water and nutes were kept up to them. Bloody amazing plant. I have used up to 7 mirrors at a time. That means 8x Full sun. Any other plant or animal I know of would quickly shrivel up and die under those conditions. MJ on the other hand takes it all in it's stride and I have grown some of the fatest heads I have ever seen by this method. Unfortunately the seasons where I find I have the time to do this are few and far between. Now I am wondering if these were the years that my Thai developed it's trippy qualities as I certainly would have uped its UV exposure heaps by doing this. I do wish I had kept records. Apart from what I have already posted on this subject I have now collected a huge mountain of evidence/information that all points to the fact that UV-B radiation is one of the main ingredients(although possibly not the only one) for converting precursor Cannabinoids to THC and THCV. I fully intend to put all this info to the test next season (as I am still a dedicated outdoor grower) Especially inducing parthenocarpia early enough in the season to take advantage of the higher UV-B levels in summer. Anyway enough of a ramble for now. I have just got home from a very long day at work and my head hurts. I have a real need to get realy stoned RIGHT NOW.

cheers

according to a book on oil i was reading not all that long ago they where saying that the true Thai sticks actually had oil in / on them, the story went that they pull the bud apart and get all the stem out then stick it back to the stick in the middle with oil, pressing and rubbing more oil in with each layer.

not sure as unfortunately i missed that generation, im sure i would have been better off had i have seen the 60s and 70s.

any how as some side points to all this, in Holland they believe that resin is there for plant protection from heat / insects / and a host of other things, and crystal there for protection from uv. apparently the bigger the hole in the ozone layer the better crystal we should be able to produce.

also older people i know who have been growing for 20 / 30 years say that the pot is a lot more stony than it was and not as heady, but i think this is just a genetic choice that people have taken to, you can still buy real heady gear like nevilles haze but you are looking at a 16 week flower cycle and most of us are to impatient for that, any how my next grow is belladonna from paradise seeds, their description says something like warning her tippy high is hallucinogenic in nature, so im hoping for something special with this one.

also i have met a few germans who where in melbourne and did not like the pot at all, it just fuck you up, no energy, no headyness, they where saying not like what they smoke in germany, they like a really heady high and where after some hash as it more often than not has the desired effect.

also you may want to look at this on a molecule level, delta 1 is the standard thc, what they get from 99% of pot and what most test are looking at when they test thc, next is delta 9, conflicting, some say the same as delta 1, others say more psychedelic and spiritual than delta 1, other reserve this title for delta 6 / 8, which are meant to be the most psychedelic of them. some strains given the correct environment / planetary alignment will produce delta 9 /6 / 8 which will be responsible for a very different smoke, naturally im note sure what causes this to happen, but i know making oil you can turn canabinols to delta 1 thc then to delta 9 thc the from delta 9 to delta 6 /8 by refluxing with sulfuric acid for a number of hours. using this method it is possible to end up with oil 90/99% pure in delta 9 / 6 thc from a paddock of hemp that contains no thc to begin with.

any how sorry about the length of the post but i got started on a tangent there and couldn't stop lol

Edited by godonacid

I havn't finished reading the thread yet but i just had a quick looks at google and you can get UVB output lights for reptiles uptake of vitamin D3 and phototherapy for psoriasis.

It seems you can get lights for UVB but one in particular will blind animals so i wouldn't look it them and there was also a hint of info about skin cancer so if anyone is thinking of experimenting, be careful as these lights sometimes put out more than the natual amount of parts of the spectrum.

I'll tell you what though, if you can add one of these suckers to your grow box and change the potency of your crop i'm all for it. Cheers to dizzy, new highs!

*Edit* Should have looked at the last posts but hey, more info the better.

Edited by Pickle

Hah! I was researching some growing techniques and came across this, wanted to clear some stuff up. Well, this guys knows some of his stuff, but the conspiracy bit is going a BIT too far. Essentially what happened was the back in the 60s American and European cultivators started to express interest at the stuff that was coming out of those regions above the cancer of tropic (North Africa, Afghanistan, Nepal, etc.). There is a reason the stuff from there was so awesome. You see, in those regions marijuana had been cultivated and grown for thousands of years, and many of the rural inhabitants had cultivation techniques that had been passed down 10 generations. These growers didn't really speak English, and operated through middle-men who sold their seeds to the interested American and Europeans, so their knowledge and cultivation techniques remained a secret. The plants that the occasionally stoner brought out of Goa were seedless/grew seedless. When the stuff made it to Southern California, the Mexican growers who started to have their stuff fall in demand got some whities who pretended to know what they were talking about to grow the seedless plants.

At the time, cultivation knowledge was very limited. This was a crop that was relatively new to the Western world, so nobody had much experience growing it. The people saw the seedless crop and thought that the reason the plant was so good was because it was seedless. They attempted to immitate this by preventing the seeds from pollinating. It worked, and the general results was an improvement in the quality and quantity of weed. Seedless means more buds with THC being formed and bags weighing less, so it was a good thing and in high demand. It looked nice, making it have a lot of bag appeal, and it had a lot of potency.

HOWEVER, if you compare the THC content of a typical sinsemilla plant to a mature plant with some seeds, the bud you will find on the seeded plant is more active than the THC content on the sinsemilla plant. The problem is that the seed prevents THC from being produced as much (its essentially Quality vs. Quantity to a large extent, being that the balance of CBDs in a plant is important). This is because seeds expand the floral sac which ultimately leads to increased production levels of CGSTs which are responsible for most of the production of THC. A good time to harvest would be somewhere like 6 weeks after pollination. Read that article that you linked to about parthenocarpy for further information on the creation of resinous bulbs etc. Huzzah, common knowledge is wrong! So therein lies the problem, if you want buds that are THC rich you need the floral sac to expand, but if you want lots of buds you cant have seeds.

Parthenocarpy solved this problem, and it happened to be induceable with the photoperiods that occur naturally in those regions above the tropic of cancer. Nature beats man once again! Nepal, North Africa, Afghanistan, etc. SO parthenocarpy, a technique that can cause the asexual reproduction of buds, expands the floral sac but remains seedless. Yay! Thats quantity and quality right there. The problem is now that by the time the white, english speaking people, could learn this knowledge that the Nepalese had been using hundreds of years ago, it was too late. Pot was banned, and these researchers were working for universities under US paid bank accounts. The papers were published and never advertised, just put behind red tape. Bearucracy is still the best way to hide information. So most of the growers used common knowledge, and made a lot of false assumptions about growing. Everyone learns from the same guides, the same experts, the same knowledge that was essentially founded on guess work in the early 60s. Luckily, marijuana tends to be a drug where quality can matter little when you have quantity (if itll get you high its awesome, since when you're high almost EVERYTHING rocks). So we are getting more buds/more THC and CBDs just not as rich/potent a blend we could possibly getting (i.e. the stuff that causes hallucinations, yum yum).

The author touches on a second issue, being the issue of UV-B photons. I guess the point of his essay was to show that most of the weed we smoke is shit, because most of the weed we smoke is pollination controlled and isn't exposed to UV-B photons which promote the highest production of THC, since HID lights have glass that block UV-B. Since HID is very popular, as is the old sinsemilla techniques, compared to the best stuff we are still smoking mids. Then again, we are still smoking better shit on average than they had in the 70s, but our best is nowhere near their best.

But yeah, thats about it.

The author touches on a second issue, being the issue of UV-B photons. I guess the point of his essay was to show that most of the weed we smoke is shit, because most of the weed we smoke is pollination controlled and isn't exposed to UV-B photons which promote the highest production of THC, since HID lights have glass that block UV-B. Since HID is very popular, as is the old sinsemilla techniques, compared to the best stuff we are still smoking mids. Then again, we are still smoking better shit on average than they had in the 70s, but our best is nowhere near their best.

Man!! I like the way you sum up the whole subject.

I think I am going to dedicate myself to the task of getting back the best of the best. Even if it means I get cancer doing it. Only joshing of cource.

Great post.

thanks