midgies

dont know if that is what they are called but do u know the little flys that are around when you are sitting on grass. i have 3 celtic stone plants that have been moved inside after about 2 weeks outside and they are about 7 weeks old. i have started to notice heaps of little flys around the plants and in the pots. are these a problem if yes how do i get rid of them. any help with be appreciated.

They sound like scarid fly/fungus gnat, the gnat is the larvae of the fly. The fungus gnat eats the protective coating from the roots and the plant then soon gets infected and dies, you can get pesticides to deal with them from your hydro shop, use them strictly as directed and flush your plants before and after you use it.

:thumbsup:

Ah the golden rule yaman, you can go from inside to out, but not outside to in. (I break it and pay for it too :freak: )

Maybe take some cuttings and keep seperate from the infected mediums.

Try continually spraying with pyrethrum, and combine medium flush with neem. You have to break the life cycle someplace and its a matter of days before the larvae are adults - laying more. Kill both adults and larvae if you can. Hypoaspis miles is one predator to consider (no sprays then tho). :toke:

best trick of the trade i have been tought on how to deal with fungus gnats is to run a bath for your plants :freak: sure that sounds retarded, but if you sit the pots in the bath tub, fill it until the water is above the soil line and wait, those bastard bugs drown and float to the surface :blink:

not only does it kill the vast majority of the bugs, its environmentally friendly, flushes your plants and then all you need is a product like yates "maverik" which will take care of the bugs that didnt drown :toke:

so what products have you guys used to flush ya mediums with and what concentrations as im how many ml to a L of water

i have used mavric on the plants to good effect and also have used pyrethrum on the roots which ended up killing the plants but that was my fault :peace:

so just wandering for next time what others have successfully used as a medium drench

cheerz :Dj: