Worried about HPS

hey,

The only reason i can see that a ballast would catch on fire is if it is either inside the grow room or in a confined space. If it is second hand id be more concerned aswell as you dont know how long its been used before hand..

How did it burn through the carpet?? only way i could see that happening is if it was directly on the carpet???

Do you have a grow room frame (panda frame) then just get metal cable and tie offs... otherwise you will need masonary screws to drill into roof....

and is there an easy way of mounting these heavy bloody things?

I'm in a timber cupboard and I just screwed in hooks in the ceiling and hung the light & shade off chain. easy to adjust height.

I've got a remote ballast, but if you've got one of those combinattion bulb/ballast setups you'll need something more substantial than screw in hooks.

and is there an easy way of mounting these heavy bloody things?

I'm in a timber cupboard and I just screwed in hooks in the ceiling and hung the light & shade off chain. easy to adjust height.

I've got a remote ballast, but if you've got one of those combinattion bulb/ballast setups you'll need something more substantial than screw in hooks.

I use the same method to hang my lights.

I had the light on my carpet for 2 mins and it burnt a hole right through.

If you hang them correctly they won't be close to any thing combustible, especially the carpet.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

youve obviously put the hot globe on carpet, big no no! you will burn the bloody house downhttp://www.myvidtodvd.com/mysmilies/ups/fireslash/mad1.gif, but we all learn from our mistakeshttp://anzanime.net/~cwm/ups/DeNiro/flower.gif

take care mate

Mozz :mellow:

p.s. put your ballast on a brick, an get some fluoro or jack chain an a couple of cup hooks :D

Edited by OldmanMozz

I bet your all wondering how the fuck did i burn the carpet. :D.

ok, first of all, this light cost me 50 bucks BRAND NEW. (400 watt HPS) there made by phillips. i dunno if there just cheap pieces of shit or if there the real thing.

I had no idea how hot they got and i noticed when i turned it on it made a noise. (like a valve amp turning on) i didn;t know if it was meant to do that so i just left it on to see if it would work or if it would blow up. :D

i had it lying on the carpet. walked outa the room for 1 min, came straight back in and the room was smokey. I jumped over to the power poiint and turned it off. I thought either the globe caught alight or the cap blew. hehehe. but no, it burnt right through my carpet and through the underlay. :P

it looks cool. hahahaha

anyway, I know not to do that again. hahahaha

Hmmm.. that light sounds dodgy to me. Unless it's a combo and the globe was touching the carpet. A ballast shouldn't get that hot within a minute. If you've got a remote ballast hang your light like the guys suggest and sit the ballast on a piece of rockwool slab - it's fireproof.

Say hi to the brigade for me.

Vaz