hey peeps

atm im soaking some fytocell

the medium that cant be overwatered..:thumbdown:

totally new to this shit..only tryin it as it was free..

ive followed the instructions and will soak for a further 24 hrs

was kinda hjoping i could add some perlite so i can get max use from the bag..

wat do u guys think??and has any1 used it prior??

thanks guys

bil

yep im using it at the moment

havnt had any real problems with it, although it likes to hold a mega amount water.

im going to use it again in bigger pots next time and see how they go, the only other one is it seems rather susceptible to algae but so do most other meduims.

about the perlite just mix it through, i have been told one of the best mediums around is 60% fytocell, 20% coco, 20% perlite, but the roots should love a bit of perlite in there as an extra somthing to wrap them selves around.

here is a quick pic of my current ones in the fytocell, only in 10 inch pots so as i say will be going a bit larger next time around.

post-5867-1172186098_thumb.jpg

Edited by godonacid

I"ve used fytocel for about 9 months. Would have to be my fav medium. The plants seem to really like it and the never been able to be overwatered is a real bonus. Leaves are always up and happy so the roots must be getting the oxygen as advertised. Two managable downsides: One is that if you grow you plant really big and tall, the plant can tend to fall over in 50lt pots, as fytocel isn't very solid. I use a tomato cage to support them. Shouldn't be a problem for scrog or smaller plants. Secondly, if you are keeping the meduim soaked, like any other meduim you can get scarid fly. I use mites from biologicalservices.com.au once every few months if i need to. For about $30 you get a litre of them, enough to do 8 plants in 50lt pots easily, if you have that many, or just put more on smaller numbers of pots. I use it all on my 4 pots. Mostly it isnt' a problem tho if your room is clean and you have your watering right.

lol

Edited by SensiSarah

Hey sensi i have been thinking of giving this stuff a lil try as the guy i see to get all my hydro stuff tells me that it will never get shit like scarid fly and all that type of stuff, mmm i will be down that way next week to pick up some stuff i need i mite have a lil chat to him and see what he says once i tell him i know of some one that is using it and got scarid fly.

Be good to see his reply as he knows he stuff...

I soak my fytocel in tap water without PH-ajusting it, over night. I put it straight into pots and give the fytocel a feed of nutes by turning the pump on in the resevior for a couple of minutes. I have a run2waste system and fytocel works a treat with nothing added to it besides some clay balls on the bottom ( I like to use diatomite from maidenwell) Plants have never suffered any symtoms of low or high PH. The meduim can get scarid fly (fungas gnats) about as easily as coco can, but can be easily treated without poisoning your plants, or better yet, avoided.

Fytocel is perfect for autopots and aquamisers. The capilery action is excellent and the claims of oxygen to water ratio seems to be genuine. Also when you've finished with you fyto, you can put it in the garden. It retains water and is biodegradeable.