comp fans

hey guys.. got a question about fans !!

recenently got my grow room up and going ( well sort of stilll got a few bits and peices 2 get) and haha this might sound funny but I couldnt get a xtractor fan ... so I rigged up a old comp 2 run 4 computer fans seems to work ok! has any1 else done anything like this b4??? I'm new to indoor and on a budget so any advice would be great!! :freak:

Wat size growing area do u have and what wattage is your light, what size are the pc fans the 80mm or the 120mm ones.

They can be used but what i have found is if u get one of those 250mm elcheapo barth room fans from bunnings and use that to suck out the air and use the pc fans for pushing the air in u will get a better flow rate of freash air through the growing area.

This is how i started off my indoors growing when i was learning to do hydro, since beening busted i have to start from go againe and my robe will be set up with the barth room fan sucking out and a pc type fan pumping air in until i can get the money to get a good fan.

hey oz .. there 120mm fans theres 3 0f them! I have a 4ft x 4ft x 7ft grow box! theres a fresh air vent with tubing that runs direct fresh air in and a fan next to it 2 push the air around, the 2 othere fans run at the bottom suking the hot air out ! when I get some buks Im gonna get a small fan and put him at the top of the box... and then reverse the smaller fans at the bottom 2 pull fresh air ..... u get the drift! oh yeah nearly 4got I'm running a 400watt mh and a 400watt hps!! cheers m8 :freak:

Hey mate with the venting of the hot you are better off having 2 of the fans sucking the heat out of the top of ya grow area as all the heat from ya hid will rise to the top.

The 3 pc fans 2 at top sucking hot air out and one at the bottom pumping the freash air in, with ya 400w u should be ok in the area u have, it will get a lil warm in there with these bloody hot days we have been having, just make sure u keep an good eye on the plants for heat stress.

But after saying all that those fans are a lil under powered to keep that area cool, just keep an eye on ya temps and u should be ok...

ya could have easily just used a ceiling fan or something similar

in my main GR all im using at the moment is a 25cm ceiling fan attached to some ducting and it works fine and i found the fan at the tip :freak: and was a ball bearing one so was rated for continuous use and for $2 was a steal :peace:

but now that i have my proper fan and carbon filter thats getting set up really soon

cheerz :Dj:

ozmade is right. have your extraction from the top of your growroom and the fresh air intake at the bottom.

now, if you're not running a filter, I'd suggest balancing your intake and exhaust fans (ie make them the same) so you maximise airflow. making your exhaust more powerful than your intake is only important if you're running a filter and want to prevent any smell leaks.

If you're on a budget I'd take stoney's suggestion and hunt around for a cheap ballbearing bathroom fan. Note the ballbearing part, they are the ones rated for continious use. but, that being said, I and many others have run standard bathroom cheopo bathroom fans for years and never had a problem.

at the end of the day as long as you can keep your growroom temps below 30degrees you'll be sweet. So set up the ventilation as best you can. flick the light on and see what happens. If it gets too hot you need to upgrade your ventilation, if it stays below 30 you're probably OK. :freak:

cheers guys I only have the air out take at the bottom for the moment because there is a fresh air flow straight from outside into the g/r..all the heat is sitting around above the lights ...I'm going to get a bath room fan 2 morrow and run that out the top of the g/r then the other comp fans will be turned around to blow fresh air in from the bottom as u mentioned! :freak: p. I'm not running 1 4oowatt but 2 , I have a 4oo mh and a 400 hps rigged up 2gether worked well the last time we did it and the yeild mass massive !!! just gota keep this heat down cheers guys!

TRIZO;)

ya 4 trizo!!! finally got the heat problem sorted!!! :thumbsup: got a pedestal fan to blow the air around and moved my comp fan to the roof .... works a fukin dream!! plus like I said b4 I got fresh air coming staight in from out side so...... yay yay 4 trizo he's cookin now..

sorry guys but this is a big acheivement 4 poor old broke arse trizo!! (patting himself on the bak).. thanx 4 all ya help guys no dobt you will get updates!! thanx again TRIZO..:peace:

Just a note man I have used 8 standard PC fans to vent my grow box for over 3 years.

My bloom area is 600mm deap * 1400 high * 1400 wide

Each fan is rated 35cfm apparently so i feel my 8 do the job fine

2 are pulling via ducting from the light shade itself so are pulling the main heat direct from source.

They are all powered by a home made power supply using an old salvaged transformer controlled by a 5A regulator. Tis allows me to controll the exact voltage to the fans. They usually run at about 13.5v

Now there are some pluses to using these and some bad things as well i wont sell ya on the use of the 80mm fans but they are a viable option

Oh i do have internal 80mm ones as well stirring the air inside the box with the help of a 555 timer so they actually oscillate not with direction but with different banks of fans being on whilst others are off