1000w VS 500w HPS

Okay, in the near future ill be setting up my first grow room. I have 2x 1000watts HPS ballests and bulbs. I've read that the rule of thumb is 50watts per square foot so my set up should match that. It just seems everyone uses 400watt HPS bulbs. Is this because 2x 400watts are better then 1x 1000watt due to a more even coverage and less hydro? Would a 1000watt yield the same as 2x 400watt bulbs or would it just speed up growth?

...any help is much appreciated

Cheers!

Edited by Sir. Budalot

400 watt bulbs are the most common size sold, because the average homegrower just wants enough to keep them happy and a 400watter in a cupboard is usually enough to do that.

Since you already got the 1000watters you should definitely use them it would be a waste of money to buy smaller lights if you can build a room big enough for a couple of 1000watters. with the right strain you could be pulling over a pound per light. lol

go the 2 thousands... 9 25liter pots under each.. make your room about 1500x1500... this should get you around 40 watt per foot... which is more than enough... this is the way i used to use my 1000's...

4 clones in each pot.. grow for a week and then flower.. youll be looking at anywhere between 4-8lbs... depending on youre strain and grow...

you could alternatively place 4 pots under each light and grow for a little longer...

edit; I mean 1500x1500 for each light... not for the 2... for 2 lights the room would be 1500 x 3000... or there abouts...

go the 2 thousands... 9 25liter pots under each.. make your room about 1500x1500... this should get you around 40 watt per foot... which is more than enough... this is the way i used to use my 1000's...

4 clones in each pot.. grow for a week and then flower.. youll be looking at anywhere between 4-8lbs... depending on youre strain and grow...

you could alternatively place 4 pots under each light and grow for a little longer...

edit; I mean 1500x1500 for each light... not for the 2... for 2 lights the room would be 1500 x 3000... or there abouts...

This is probably a dumb question, but what do you mean 1500x1500? i can figure out that measurement.

Wouldnt 1000w @ 40 ft2 = 25 ft2 or a 5'x5' area?