A question of timing...

most people keep mothers so cuttings can be taken at any time they wish :P but if doing that is out of the question for you, what you need to do is work out how long your plants take to flower, ie. 8 weeks and know how long the plants will need in vege, ie. 4 weeks. you also need to take into consideration the rooting of the clones which will take about 2 weeks so with the 2 weeks rooting and the 4 weeks vege, that means you'd need to take cuttings approximately 2 weeks into 12/12 B)

sorry if that made no sense, my head is still clouded as all fuck from a hard night on the bongs :P

you need 2 grow spaces anyway if you want to veg cuttings while finishing the previous crop so really there's no reason not to keep a mother.

you can take cuttings anytime but they are best taken when the plant is still in veg, the longer into flower you take em the harder they are to root.

the timing depends on your strain. if you take cuts say 2 weeks into flower a quick finishing indoor strain might well be harvested by the time you root and veg your clones a bit under fluros. if they start getting too big before you're ready just prune em... :P

jimbojones5678 .... At what stage of growth does one take cuttings for clones?

One would wait till the plant has matred sufficiently so you get the full genetic code encripted. That way the plant has it full sequence of undertakings and transitions passedon to it's cutting.

This usually takes approximately 4 - 6 weeks from seed.

jimbo ..... Can you take cuttings at any time?

No - not when it is too young or to weak to do so; like immediatly after repotting.

wantda provids you some linier time scale you may like to know if calculating a whole grow.

pipeman gives you a desirable grow setup about having 2 separate spaces with the need for 2 lighting times (18/6 & 12/12). Hence it is extreamly useful to have 2 grow spaces with suitable lighting :P

So see if I got this right? B)

Don't take cuttings till the end of the first veg 4-5 weeks.

I will hopefully only be doing one repot so I should be able to avoid doing it at stressful stages. I was more thinking how late can you take them - and have since read that any later than the first two weeks of flowering can greatly increase the failure rate

I understand that it is a essential to have two separate rooms for the lighting difference.

What would you say is the best light to put them under straight after cutting?

Jimbo :P :P

Usually only take cuttings during veg (flower is possible but alot harder to root and takes longer).

Take your cuttings once you have side stems coming out with a couple of internodes on them or when you start to see little preflowers starting to appear, don't leave it later then that.

I only cloned one time and it was easy as pie. My plant had something fall on it and crushed the whole thing, snapped all the stems except for a couple which I cut off and put in rockwool cubes.

Put them in a humidity dome (half a coke bottle, bread container, whatever) with an 18w or 24w 4000k fluruo over it for a week or two 24hr light.

Roots were coming out the bottom rootbound, just dribbled water into the cube every couple of days to keep wet and humid.

A small 20w cool fluoro with a shade in a small cupboard worked well for me. I wouldn't have expected it to be able to hold 20 clones, but who knows? (I just had a few cuts in there)

I have wondered before if there's a time clones prefer to be taken ...

Like when they are 'sleeping' at night or

First thing in the morning or

When the light fades

???

Would any of these be preferable to another?

jimbojones......So see if I got this right?

jimbo .... Don't take cuttings till the end of the first veg 4-5 weeks
:)

stonedstump ... Put them in a humidity dome (half a coke bottle, bread container, whatever) with an 18w or 24w 4000k fluruo over it for a week or two 24hr light.
:P :P

The sugested 18w - 36w blue fluro's (ie fish tank light size) are ideal.

You can do clones with a 400w if you keep the light a good distance from the cuttings, controle humidity (wich you want to anyway- ie. Humidity crib). & temps.

jimbo ....I was more thinking how late can you take them

stonedstump ...Usually only take cuttings during veg (flower is possible but alot harder to root and takes longer
B)

As stonestump said the later you take a cutting into 12/12 the harder & longer it takes to root due to having to reverse gears and go back to a vegitative state.

jimbo ... What would you say is the best light to put them under straight after cutting?

Perasonally, twin 36w blue agrolights or as many as you can fit in your space.

Cheers B)