Big Day Out Bans Australian Flag !

News Ltd today reported that organisers of the Big Day Out at Homebush had decided they would confiscate any flag or bandana featuring the national symbol at the gates.

Event organiser Ken West was quoted as saying fans' behaviour last year in the wake of the Cronulla riots and the recent ethnic violence at the Australian Open tennis tournament had forced his hand.

"The Australian flag was being used as gang colours. It was racism disguised as patriotism and I'm not going to tolerate it," Mr West said.

BDO organisers issued a statement this morning saying the flag was not banned, but they said they did not want concert-goers taking it into the event.

"We are not banning the Australian flag but are simply discouraging its use for anti-social purposes at the Big Day Out," the statement said.

BDO organisers said while they intended no disrespect to the flag, the Sydney concert was not an Australia Day event and there was no need for the flag to be waved there.

"Our only intention in discouraging this activity at the Big Day Out is to ensure that our patrons are not subjected to this aggressive behaviour," they said.

"With all this in mind and the aim to create a happy, peaceful musical event, organisers would like to request that fans please leave their flags at home."

The event tours six cities in Australia and New Zealand but the ban will only affect Sydney, where the festival has been shifted to the day before its usual Australia Day date to avoid nationalistic overtones.

- AAP

Author: AAP

Date: January 22, 2007

Source:The Australian, news.com.au

Copyright:© The Australian

What the hell !! Why cant aussies display the flag in Australia ....... stuff anyone who doesnt like it

this is going right overboard , i would like to belt the piss outta that Ken West arsehole

we have NO rights ??? :thumbsup: .... think i better have a cone and a lay down :xcited:

hey there frazz

thanks for putting this up frazz i think this is an absolute mockery of the australian people how can we be banned from waving our flag

we are slowely losing the grip on our rights as humans and as australians come on whats gonna happen next we will be banned from having a beer or maybe wearing wife beater singlets or maybe challenging the prime ministers son to a gentlemens duel :thumbsup:

i dont like it one stinking bit

cheerz :Dj:

Right, well... as far as i can see it and this is more often the case... when someone is told they can't or shouldn't do something... like carry an Australian flag... they are more likely to do so than if nothing had been mentioned.

Media scruteny and the attention of the fuken prime minister himself (removed himself from George Bush's ass for 5 seconds) have added to the interest and the uproar over this whole stupid thing.

I reckon if you wanna wave a flag wave one...

if it was for safety reasons then sure, but then why single out one flag in particular, and then why bandanna's as well? fukn stupid

There were no australian flags at the recent riots at the Australian Open. so don't even go there... :thumbsup:

Australia is being taken over and progressively losing it's Freedom of speech and relaxed way of life

now i'm gonna go bbq a nice big fucken rack of LAMB :xcited:

Peace Out :toke:

Pebbles

Edited by Pebbles

:toke:

Pffft , I fart in your flags general direction ..

... That is to say .. What the fark are they on about!? .. Whats next!? .. No Flags or face paint at the cricket or Tennis!? :xcited: what a bunch of wankers aye .. that is to say .. morons :toke:

Ohwell , make sure you tell em so when you see em .. that is to say ..

Cheerz B)

Budman :thumbsup:

I can understand where the organisers are comming from, but i definatly dont fucking agree. Ive been to a few big day outs and would never think to bring an australian flag, its ok if u wanna wear it or something but no one wants it to be waved around a block views. That said if i were going this year(line up isnt that good) i would definatly take a flag as a big fuck off to people wanting to ban the flag.