growing in pots

g'day

I was hoping someone could help me with some growing tips.

I currently have an outdoor plant that is coming along really well, only I have a feeling it may not stay so healthy.

I have it in a pot that is about 32cm deep, 42cm diametre, and the plant itself is about 45cm tall.

What I am hoping will happen is that it might mean the plant is a little bit stunted, but so long as I keep it in plenty of water it will stay healthy.

What I'm scared of is that the roots will eventually try to get out and this will eventually kill it.

wadda ya reckon?

I like having the portability of having it in a pot, being able to move it around a bit, etc.

cheers

Good ay , nice ta meet ya :thumbsup:

regarding the plant i would re-pot to a larger pot as the plant will need this extra leg-room to make big flowers, as for the roots hanging out the bottom, well it no matter, but maybe an idea to sit in shallow dish of water so it has water on demand thru summer

:doh:

G`day Billwill,

I`ve got a very similar situation. The pot is pretty much the same size (as yours) and the plant is around 40 cm high. The lower branches have nearly caught up with the height of the main plant. It broke ground in late sept however I had to repot (`cuse the pun) it because the pot I originally planted it in was way too small and the medium I grew it in was a poor mix of very ordinary soil and sand.

Punchline is though, that my plant is really thriving in the larger pot. It is somewhat dwarfed however I did repot it in a generic off the shelf potting mix. Every 10 days or so I sprinkle dynamic lifter ( sparingly) on the top of the sugar cane mulch that covers the top of the potting mix (30 cm deep). The pot also has a water retaining base and I keep watered just enough so as not to turn it into hemp but wet enough so the plant does not wilt and when it rains let that do its thing (They always seem to charge along after a good downpour - must be secret plant, earth and weather bonding).

The plant is starting to flower pretty solidly and the main stalk and branches are thickening right up for the onslaught of resinous buds (I hope). Every 2 weeks or so I sprinkle pot ash from the fire box sparingly on the top of the mulch as well. It gets around 7 hours of good sunlight (it`s in a corner situation away from prying eyes) and look like it will yield well. So keep up the water and nutrients and you should end up with a little pearler.

regards Konemarn

Edited by konemarn

hi bill i dont see a problem with the pots but bigger is better they have more water to survive on if you have to move them leave them a day or to when are dry they are lighter that way . a drip tray will help but not vital here are some pics of mine at 3 months one pic you will see first transplanted baby then big baby one at back note pot colour the the yard and then a plant from last years grow in the same size pot you have' and as you will see they can get a good size i will put the other pics in the next post

:helpsmilie:

post-7853-1169718479_thumb.jpg

If it were me billwill, I'd leave it in that pot.

I grew 2 plants this season to over 5 foot in slightly smaller pots than yours.

When I transplanted them into the ground there was still room in the pot for more roots :scratchin:

see here!

...and here!

(one of them is now close to 8 foot high :freak:)

If your in oz, your plant will start flowering soon(if not already) and is unlikely to outgrow that pot before harvest, so I wouldn't risk disturbing the roots if it's not neccesary.

What I'm scared of is that the roots will eventually try to get out and this will eventually kill it.

Stop worrying, she'll be fine :xcited:

Out of interest, what are ya feeding this little sweetheart?

and is it just potting mix in the pot?

Good luck with it mate :blink: