Tales of making money

The idea is that you may only yield perhaps 1/2 oz per plant, but if you have 30 of them, so you end up with a pound or so.

Yeah I thought so, that's why I was skeptical of 3-4oz per plant. Would be a nice plant hey? :peace:

Main disadvantage to many small plants is if the shit hits the fan, you'll be busted for a much larger amount of plants (which the law looks at differently in terms of numbers rather than quantity of finished product) and could have a much larger problem than you would if you had one or two plants which yeilded roughly the same or even more.

That's why I have chosen to go the scrog, I've been reading up the forums etc and I don't need that high a turnover (sog) and the less I have to take the fall for the better!

I read somewhere that if you grew plants under 24 hrs of light indoors then put them outside that regardless of the time of year that they go straight into flower. I have never tried this but that sounds a bit like what is described here. Anyone done this? I would have thought that the day length, if in summer would have kept the plants in perpetual veg?

Would not the turn from 24hrs of light to any significant amount of darkness induce flowering? In our hemisphere anyway...

Jimbo :ack: :peace:

Some strains are more sensitive to the length of darkness relative to previous light regeimes than others. Some strains do go immediately to flower if grown under 24 hr veg light cycles when put outdoors into summer, but others stop growing, think about it for a bit, may produce a few flowers, and then revert back to vegetative growth when they realise that the cycle isn't getting significantly shorter.

Strains with heavy equatorial lineage (usually sativas, but this isn't always true, as there are indicas and sativa varieties which grow and develop in both equatorial and temperate regions...) are usually the ones that require only a small differential between dark and light hours to flower, and some strains have given up the ghost of photoperiodism for auto-flowering when sufficiently developed.

Usually you'd see a flowering response followed by a regrowth if you put them out in early summer when they're going to get progressively less dark as the season rolls on. If you put them out after the solstice though you would be more likely to see them power on and complete the flowering, although once again it's strain dependant.

Just keep in mind that it's the total length of darkness which is uninterrupted with light which is the defining factor for flowering in most cultivars.

It should also be noted that there's no more powerful HID than the gazillion watt HID in the sky called Sol.... Flowering outdoors can be huge compared to indoor plants, although I have seen some monsters under lights, they rarely match the size or yeild of a well grown outdoor tree....

Yep good points Luke. I remember giving a friend of mine half a doz Northern Lts/Shiva clones that I had spare. He put them in the ground at his place mid October hoping for a nice summer grow but they flowered straight away, we were smoking them that christmas. Those plants produced half to 3/4 ounce each. The mother they came off was over 12 months old so they were very easy to trip into flower. Falling temps in the outside shed I had that mother in plus the use of low level fluorescent lighting tripped her into flower that next winter even under 18 hrs.

As for the 4inch cubes producing 3-4 ounces? I reckon it could be done, just not sure how he did it? 3 weeks to clone and veg would give a raesonable size clone... if they were in some sort of gutter perhaps the roots had room to get bigger? Could also have been an exagertaion?... I reckon they'd be good for 3oz?

If you think about it, one big mother plant under one 400 watt metal halide could pump out thousands of clones in one year. The amount would only be limited by the persons ability to maintain them.

some strains have given up the ghost of photoperiodism for auto-flowering when sufficiently developed.

So in the absence of a circadian rhythm (in a 24hr on veg situation) it can override the input to create the reactions necessary to enter self induced flowering - such as plant life with steady average light on the equator?

Just keep in mind that it's the total length of darkness which is uninterrupted with light which is the defining factor for flowering in most cultivars

So even a plant that has been denied the skotophile phase will react positively when introduced to a small change in hours of darkness?

Jimbo