plastic nute tanks

I have done a search and can't find any info. I have heard here and there that you have to be

careful about what your nute tank is made of. I always buy a bunnings special usually $10 for

a black plastic 60 litre tank. Are these OK to use or should I buy one specifically made for

hydro from a hydro shop. Does anyone know what can actually happen to your plants if the

tank is leaching?

regards

aussie1

The softer the tank the more plastizer in the compound ,, Ive had trouble with phytotoxicity before ,,, if you at all worried about particular tank , just drop one of those blue tarps ( bunnings ) in it ,, they are safe and dont leach any chemicals .

You want food grade ,, be carefull with recycled plastics made in Mexico and Asia , the mixes vary .

http://americanplasticscouncil.org/s_apc/s...313&DID=931

Rod

virgin plastic meaning first use would be better food grade or fish grade even better, no recycled plastic containers.

I had alot of dramas with my old cheep res it was opaqe and on closer inspection had alot of dust and even bugs pressed deep into the plastic not stuck on but inside the plastic. came from bunnings 100lt garbage bin looking thing but clear to opaqe about $30 when full of water it bulged quite dodgy near a ballast.

i needed more than a 100lt res best i found for price was a brand new 44g/200lt drum at $75 about the price a hydro shop sells a very good 60lt square tub without lid.

because of the shape it takes up the same space at my old 60lt square tub but taller.

Edited by thc24

good idea RB would thick pond liner do the job as well as the tarp. some of the cheep tarps tear easily and can drop fibres like fiber glass.

Wassily i had a simular res for about 6 months with many problems when i swapped to a non traslucent tup all these issues went away.

do you get slime or badly blocked filters? actually 25lt wouldnt last 2 days in my grow so probally not big enough or long lasting to have too many issues.

a quick fix for clear tubs is a can of spray on body deadner is like spray on plastic but black wont peel off and makes tup 98% light proof.

panda film would do the same job and probally easier come cleaning time to just un tape.

Edited by thc24