cool tubes info

I have read a few old threads about members trying to find cool tubes for HID.

I know that they are now freely available, but was wondering what sort of temperature

drops you guys were experiencing now that you have used them for a while.

I was quoted $130 for the 150mm diameter for a 600 watt, and I have to purchase

the ducting and the fan on top of that.

Any info much appreciated.

Regards

aussie1

Thanks Luke for precise and to the point answer.

These posts that tell you to use the 'search thingo' when you clearly stated

that you have, drive me mad. Must just like clocking up post numbers

Thanks again

well mate i gotta admit my post is as posintless as yours as im pretty sure i asnwered these questions in either a cool tube thread or my grow diary when i tested them so u didnt look hard enough abvously lol

pitty there not selling the 125mm anymore... i found the 2x 150's are to big for the 600 watters let alone running a 400w or even 250w in the 150mm version they'd run to cold and cause all havok with the cheap shitty glass :thumbsup:

Edited by Gazza2001au

Yeah, but I've got a hydrotek, not hydrofarm unit. :thumbsup:

They've got 150x500 units available now too, which would be marginally more suitable for a 1000w HPS than a 150x400, but the 400 looks fine with a thousand in it to me, and runs okay too.

The double tubes with two fittings seem to be a little pointless to me. If you're getting the lights that close, you don't need or want another one in such a small footprint. It's overkill with anything over a 400w. Far better to daisychain 2 individual tubes IMO. But I'm sure there are some applications and I'm also sure that some will swear by the double mogul tubes.

Oh yeah, and the one I'm running is a 150x500, which seems to look great and produce plenty of light with either a 400w or 600w unit inside. I certainly wouldn't use a 600w in a 125mm unit, far too much heat for that to extract efficiently IMO. A 400w would certainly be suitable though... But I find most peeps who have 400w lights eventually have 600w lights so it may be worth getting the larger one initially.

That and the fact that you have to find a decent fan that can handle having a reducer down to 125mm or you use a 125mm comp fan, which isn't anywhere near what you'd want running a cool tube IMHO. Adaptors for 125mm-150mm are easy enough to find, but it's a restriction on the fan to do this and won't do you any favours in airflow. Still, a good centrifugal should rip it out regardless.

I'm running a 150mm inline spectrum fan, which has a 120lps rating. I have a silencer on mine and run from outside of room to outside of room, rather than pulling air from the GR into the tube and then out through the filter... That's a perfectly viable way of doing it mind, but I've got my GR in a warm room and thought I could use the couple of extra degrees it would possibly provide in extra cooling. I only have another 120lps spectrum inline for the main room exhaust through a 150x300 carbon filter, which is fine, but I imagine that once the really hot days start coming I'll be thankful for the extra venting....

You can probably still find a few 125mm units out there somewhere, try ringing around or emailing a few shops, they may have some stock still in store, although I'd imagine that most tubes have already been picked up from the last importation....

You're wrong, I did see your post, your getting a 10 deg drop, but that would

probably not be an average, hence the reason for my post, to find the AVERAGE, and not just one opinion. How could asking members their average

temperature drops be pointless? It is a direct question. Telling me to search the thingo is mighty pointless, especially when there is not much mention of average temperatures drops in their posts. How do I know this?

Because I used the search thingo before I opened my trap to write this thread

Then to tell me to get a unit that is no longer available... couldn't get more pointless than that....

I think I would go with the one the local hydro shop has, i.e 150mm for 600 watt light. Any thoughts on me running 2 cool tubes (150mm) and using a zheile 300mm inline fan to extract heat from tubes ( using a Y connector). I have a spare zheile so thought I could use it, or should I get the appropriate fan for each tube seperately

Run then inline rather than off a Y. Unless you can ensure that the length of ducting between each tube and the Y is the same. Even then there would be differences in flow. But inline you'll get straight flow. Keep the duct to a min.

I'd say get a centrifugal if you can afford one for more than one tube. It will ensure that flow is at maximum, and you won't have back-pressure problems you'll likely get with an inline running two tubes inline/branched.

Still, it would work, just perhaps not as good as it would in a daisy chain setup with a centrifugal...

I only know they're not available from the supplier cos I talked to them yesterday. Gazza wouldn't have known that....