cracked seeds

roy

: hey all :) I got 2 seeds cracked open with their tap root showing :yahoo:

Now i want to put them in rockwool cubes....So i wanna now what and how long to soak the cubes in ?

And which way to face the tap root?.......was thinking of using an old desk lamp with a fluro bulb (energy saver type) to shine over them?

And whats the best way to keep the cubes moist? like sit them on a pot plant tray or what?

Ive never stared from scratch before,always had clones before.....

Thanks in advance

cheers roy :D

Hi Roy, just soak the cubes in ph 6 water with a few drops of superthrive for a minute

The tap root should point down

The desk lamp idea should work ok

If you have a cloning tray you can use it to sprout them, keeps the cubes from drying out as much,...

Water the cubes every second day, I like to use a 12mm syringe to water them with, handy for watering clones too

Edit

Ooo and don't sit them in water they will be too waterlogged, they can hold a few days worth of moisture by themselves, that's why the cloning tray is a good idea

Edited by bufo marinus

hey guys.... yeah everest im planning on using 4inch pots filled with clay balls....was thinking puting the cube in the pot with the clay balls...i wanna make one a mother

bufo marinus .... i got some Seasol seaweed concentrate,stimulates root development ....how about a couple of drops of that ???

Edited by roy

from my experience you'll want to treat the cracked seeds like you would freshly taken cuttings. you should put them just in the rockwool cube's hole without covering rockwool over the hole so the seed doesnt waste energy poking up through it and like i mentioned before about cuttings, you'll need to mist them regulary to make sure they dont dry out and the humidity remains high :D

oh and even though the stems will stretch like crazy and will more than likely continue to flop over a week or 2 after moving them out of the clone chamber, i recommend leaving them in the clone chamber ( if you have one that is :) ) as long as possible to ensure they have enough roots grown to handle taking up water and nute through them otherwise your seedlings could suffer the same fate as alot of mine and die after putting them in the vege room :yahoo:

Um the Seasol, isn't it a fertiliser? I'd be wary of using it.

Just go with straight ph water if in doubt

The superthrive has hormones in it to help with rooting and plant stress, so even though it is more suited to cloning it is beneficial once the seedling is feeding.

Mist them only if your not using a cloning tray/chamber

If and when they stretch toothpicks are handy to keep em upright