Basil clones

hey there guys just thought i would wack a few pics up of a little experiment that i thought i would give a go

basicly when i made that smoked salmon pizza part of the recipe was fresh basil leaves so a few days after i used it there was still some left so decided to test how fresh this stuff was by taking a few clones didnt really think they would work

but bugger me a week and a half later they fully rooted and ready to plant lol

med_gallery_7211_105_20020.jpg

so yeah now i will never run out of basil :bleh:

cheerz :Dj:

Yeah, it's an annual, so you have to keep it in warm but not hot conditions, with a good long photoperiod.

It roots cuttings like mad though, and there's usually a new shoot somewhere on the plant that hasn't started to flower that you can start a new plant with.

If you can overwinter it in a warm spot and cut it back to about 1/3 size some cultivars will grow very slowly through winter and then come out of dormancy into full growth again in spring. For best growth though, you should think of basil as a short lived perennial, with regular plantings from cutting or seed you should do very well most of the year.

If you live in a particularly cold place of Australia, it can be a good idea to store a proportion of a large harvest in autumn for winter use in icecubes. Just chop it up, get a heap of old ice-cube trays, and then divide up the chopped basil into the trays and fill with water. Freeze it and then when you want to add basil to something like spaghetti sauce or any other kind of liquid cooking you just add it to the pot, or if you want to put it on a pizza or something like that you can freeze whole leaves, in a larger tray, then defrost and drain out when you need em. :peace: