centrifugal fan for carbon filter

Hello all,

Would really appreciate some input on what fan I should buy. I've done lots of research and have narrowed it down to 2. Now deciding which one.

A bit of info - growroom is 1.5m3, 400w HPS, 3 x 100mm passive intakes. Currently have 200mm bathroom fan as exhaust.

I've recently bought a Phat carbon filter -150mm, and now just need to get the centrifugal fan.

Here's a pic of the 2 fans. Both are similarly priced, so that is not a factor.

post-10494-1164361647_thumb.jpgpost-10494-1164361701_thumb.jpg

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

150mm x 1000mm?

I've seen a fantech 150mm running, and an allvent 250mm too. The allvents are very heavy, but still fairly strong, whilst the fantechs are still fairly chunky, but are significantly stronger than most others I've seen fan size for fan size.

Either of those two will do the job very nicely, and it seems to me that for a minimal increase in wattage you can gain significant airflow strength for a small amount of increase in noise... (only 2dB)... I'd get the fantech myself, and get yourself a good silencer or some acoustic ducting. They can be a little noisy, even after being attached to a carbon filter.

Cool, thanks Luke. (The Phatty's a 150mm x 300mm )

Didn't realise the Allvents were a heavy unit - that's good to know.

Forgive my ignorance, but the Allvent comes with a plug, while the Fantech has a junction box fitted. What exactly is a junction box?

I plan to box the fan and add some insulation. Hopefully that, with the ducting, will minimise the noise.

Thanks again Luke.

A junction box is where the wires from your cord go it. So you may have to fit it yourself. Enquire with the sellers whether you'll have to do this, they may have an additional cost. (although IMO that's pretty crappy)

Acoustic ducting drops noise levels spectacularly compared to normal nude duct. Baffle the fan with some insulation (greenstuff is great) and then use some acoustic on either end of the fan. If you can't afford much just use a meter each side of the outlet and inlet and if you require more just use a little nude after it. This will still help with noise.

I can't emphasise enough how much noise it removes, it's almost astonishing, and seriously improves your stealth.

thanks Luke, I'll ask the vendor re the wiring.

I did enquire about some acoustic ducting - a bit more expensive than normal ducting, but hey but if it does what you say, I might get a few metres of it. Thanks for the tip - stealth is what I'm after lol

Still deciding whether to have the fan/filter inside or on top of (suspended) my grow cupboard. Would it make any real difference acoustic-wise ya reckon.

I'm leaning towards putting it above the cupboard, and plan to enclose the fan/filter in a framed box. Probably hang it by some legrope type cords from the shed roof. This sound OK to you?

Edited by blacksaint