A bunch of stupid newb questions - cupboard growing

Hey guys,

After a bit of consideration I've decided to try my hand at some growing if its feasable with what is available. I'm not entirely new to botany (was a member of the Victorian Carnivorous Plants Society in my youth) but I have no idea where to start in terms of lighting and whatnot.

I have a cupboard which measures H 183cm W 60cm D 50cm. This is very small, I know, so we're looking at what, maybe 1 plant here? Anyhoo, after some very preliminary research I've come to the conclusion that CFLs are what I'd like to go with all the way through the growth cycle (heat and fans and fires aren't things I wish to deal with right now, unless ABSOLUTELY necessary). So, my first question is whether it is in fact possible to get all the way to flowering with CFLs? High yields aren't what I'm aiming for - even a small yields would be fine with me.

As for more nuts and bolts stuff, I know jack shit about electronics and want to get my hand on a lighting set-up that generally requires two steps to set up:

1. Plug in light system

2. Turn on light system.

Is this possible or is some kind of DIY electronics knowledge needed? Yes, surely my newbieness is showing through at this point but bear with me.

I guess my final question is just a general ballpark cost estimate. I'm a casual worker and thus don't have shitloads of money to throw about on this so try to keep that in mind. Anything above an initial $400 is absolutely out of the question. If I could spend half that on getting bare essentials I would be a happy camper.

Thanks guys. Once I get the info I need it's time to worry about seeds I guess.:D

Edited by bigbowlowrong

shop around check ebay always a lot of good deals might be able to make a better set up then you ever dreamed of on a low budget i know i was suppressed what i could do with 200 dollars 1600watt mh and 250 hid and tall of the hydro equipment granted i saved $70 bcuz i had fish at one time but yeah basically dont buy crap you get what you ay for but you can also find a good deal on anything if you look hard eneough a good timer will save you a lot of trouble

no real advice might want to try led if you can get a board to hold them good for small spaces

hehe ok well you want to get yourself a couple of 130w spectrum cfl's get the ultra blues... trust me... and you can get the red ones for flowering!

Check out my thread... i was using em for my veg period... and the best part was with a little effort you can save 260w elsewhere so you dont even notice it on the power bill :D

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...showtopic=13554

btw shop around when it comes to these lights... you should be able to find em for 60-70 bucks each not the 100 bucks ya gotta pay at the

hydroshop

Edited by torture

Thanks for the info and PMs, you guys are awesome!

As for strains, as I want to keep the smell as unnoticeable as possible it seems like Northern Lights are the way to go. Is this wise or are there other recommendations for a first time grower? I'm stressing out about ordering seeds from overseas after reading a few of the horror stories here.:D

Looking to begin the whole thing after Xmas, so this is just laying the groundwork really.

400 watt sont agro and ballast light timer cheap horizontal lampholder some miricle grow potting mix and your cooking with gas .

Try your local hydro shop first and get a how to grow book

Probably wouldnt be the greatest idea in that type of space to putting a 400 in there... but if you can find a way to keep the heat under control then the 400 is definately the way too go. Those 130w cfls produce absolutely fuck all heat, as long as the leaves aren't touching it then they wont burn.

Edited by torture

Any strain can be height controlled do a search for SCROG and go hard with whatever strain takes your fancy!!!

CFL's im not sure on as I havent seen them budding plants much so i recommend the 400W

400W is the go man just dont scamp the $$ on your ventilation as you will pay dearly for it. Also try and get the heat from your source the bulb get some ducting and such and be inventive you will rock

And if your space enlarges with your enjoyment of success you will thank the purchase of the 400 over the CFL's

Yeah shithappens, I know CFLs aren't ideal but for a first time grower who isn't aiming for a high yield they seem to be the way to go from what I've read. Temperature won't be a problem given the season I'm aiming at growing them in... anything other than CFLs in the height of what looks to be a killer summer is just way too much trouble at this point.

And as stealth is of utmost importance due to my living situation (renting but no inspections, yay) Northern Lights are the way to go I think. I don't want my room smelling like Bob Marley's asshole if you know what I mean.:P

As for ventilation I will be putting a small CPU fan or two in the cupboard itself as well as near a ventilation hole on top (where the lights will be dropping in).

Thanks for the info on height control though, that was going to be one of my next questions.