carbon filter/fan to suit my grow

thanks guys....you have all been EXTREMELY helpful in this....I got the impression from reading up last night that dimmers were not the way to go.

Thanks Dr Rockster..your quick reply prompted this great thread.

Thanks, yet again Luke, for the sound/fan/fiter tips as well...it may even save me from getting a controller in the end...I'll see how it goes...I can now go ahead and hunt for the best deal.

And Shitappens, that technical explanation is par excellence!

does any1 know where there is a tute for the fan dimmer??

i seen it on some site somewhere

i will try it out on me inline fan

then if i aint got the money for a real 1

ill try it on me centrifugal wen i get it

ther is just no known way i can run a centrifugal without something to slow it down and resuce the mass of noise they put out

does any1 have any quitenin theorys??

thanks guys

peace

bpa

yeah Stoney...I've read your tute (several times!)...best around I've seen by far.

Problem is I only have the proper use of one hand, due to a savage infection, which 'ate' half the flesh off my right thumb - caused by a simple splinter. :toke:

That was 5 weeks ago - 8 days in hospital on a drip, skin graft which failed..bad run really, but at least I didn't lose my thumb lol ....so I'm doin' my very first grow so far one-handed. :peace: Im hoping my dope growin' skills will double, once I get both hands on me ladies.... lol

Edited by blacksaint

well I bought a 150mm x 300 Phat carbon filter today - $155 - pretty good price I reckon :blink:

Im still searching for an appropriate fan.

I like the look of the Fantech centrifugals - they look like a quality build. About $220 for a 150mm (205L/s)

Can anyone recommend some others or let me know what you are using?

I've also read here and elsewhere that some axials will do the job for small filters such as mine. Does anyone know just how much of a 'good job' they do, or should I just forget them and stick with centrifugals.

Also, is it possible to have a 200mm centrifugal with my 150mm Phatty. Only reason i ask is there's a 2nd hand one on Ebay atm for $100

Wonderin if anyone can assist some questions on carbon filter/fan setup. Been reading up a fair bit, but actual install / setup info for growrooms has been hard to find.

1. Are there any pros/cons in securing your carbon filter horizontally/vertically? I've read you should turn em every now and then if horizontal.

2. My spacing is currently limited (looking to increase when I can). Is it Ok to fit the filter on the outside of my cupboard, with fan on top, then boxed with some soundproofing material?

3. I have a Phat 150mm x300, and am looking to buy a Fantech 150mm centrifugal in the next few weeks $$. I'd be interested to know what combinations others are using, and how you have got them set up, ducting, soundproofing etc...

Any info, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.