1000w hps globes

hey everyone,

i'm currently running a 1000w hps wich i've had for a while, thinking of changing the globe for the next grow i can get my hands on some son t 1000w hps globes for free brand new. now the question, would i be better of getting a grow specific globe or going with the son t :applause: do they have the same lumen/lux output

cheers lol

a few weeks ago i bought a digital light meter to test my son-t 1000w hps globes. i had just bought 2 brand new ones and wanted to test the lux difference between the new ones and the ones that were almost 3 years old. not even 10% difference.

also, i use son-t euro globes. i thought son-t meant extra blue. ive now been reliably informed that is b/shit. son-t is the european acronym for sodium tube. same spectrum as other 1000w hps globes apparently.

but the euro verions of the hps globes apparently had a higher lumen output than the american. although with the latest hight output american sunmanster and growlush hps apparently pushing out 150k + initial lumen, this advantage may be no more.

how long have you been running the 1000w hps globe you have now? is it a euro or american hps ballast?

Hey there lefty,

what sort of lumen output are you getting of the son t globes, i have had my current globe for about 5 yrs and used it for about 9 months of that mind u i got it second hand so it could have been thrashed for all i know..

will it be written on the ballast if its yank or euro

i put the son t in my grow rm before and it was dull as fuck compared to my old one, the old one is a sylvania luma lux, :applause:

Don't forget lumens only measure light in human eye response terms, so you're not necessarily getting similar outputs from new and old globes even if the lumens appear to be similar. :applause:

It should be written on the ballast, yes, but not always. One other way to tell is if it has amp figures. A euro ballast will use more amps on start up than running, (AKA reactor control ballast) and a Constant Wattage ballast will use less on start up than running. You can't use a CW globe with a EURO ballast though, it won't ignite.....

If it's a horticultural bulb, it'll grow plants well. But I'd definitely change 1000w lamps every 9 months minimum. The difference in growth can be astonishing from one crop with an old lamp to the next one with a new one....

Hey there lefty,

what sort of lumen output are you getting of the son t globes, i have had my current globe for about 5 yrs and used it for about 9 months of that mind u i got it second hand so it could have been thrashed for all i know..

will it be written on the ballast if its yank or euro

i put the son t in my grow rm before and it was dull as fuck compared to my old one, the old one is a sylvania luma lux,

if you are running the Osram Nav-t/Son-t lamp u have the 1000w HPS euro control box u can only run one type of lamp on that gear that i know of thats avaliable in oz i used the same light a few years back and the filament is like the 400watters compair a Phillips Son-t to a Lucagrow and you will see the Lucagrow fillament is alot longer its actually as long as a 600 watter

if u are unsure what type of control box u have and its not printed either remove the cover or look thru the vent it will be printed on the ballast

Edited by Gazza2001au