Roots...

Hey everyone

Just curious about the roots that hang under your pot and into the catchment container. The ends of these hang in the remaining nute solution, about 20 mm deep.

Is it advisable to trim these periodicly of just leave them in there(whilst trying to keep them clear of drain hole)?

I have read somewhere that the plants dont like wet feet... At this stage, there aren't large masses but I imagine it could pose a problem if left too long?

I'm watering every 3 hrs for 30 min, the rest of the time the water benieth the plants(that the roots are hanging in) is still...

Thanks for advice

Cheers :applause:

hi mate. i leave them.

i water 10 min every 3hrs, and there is also about 20mm of water in the catchment area of my system. sometimes i get a thick taproot like your finger growing into it then expanding into the catchment area like a mop head. ofcourse the primary root system is stiill in the media

i reckon it gives the plant a chance to suck up some water/food when its hot maybe.

whether this is technically correct im not sure, but ive never trimmed the roots.

it can be an issue if left to grow.. could cause a blockage in the return hose... what I use is a peice of shade cloth and a peice of weedmat in the bottom of the pots.. slows the roots getting through... they still get through but by the time the crop is done its not usually enough to to cuase any problems...

it wont hurt to trim them of.. I just rip the roots if they get too much.... the plant wont suffer at all....

lower you flow rates to a trickle and problem solved blockage wise, roots would no longer grow with the flow of water/ nuter.

I can remember a day in an old reycling setup where i woke to flooded pots, room and carpet all because drain holes had blocked to the point that the nute flow was greater spilling perlite every where. weeks before this happened i noticed roots growing down 3 foot of 19mm hose into main res. following grow with drippers it didnt happen but did need

3 drips per pot.

good luck racing snake tangled roots in a recirc setup will be an issue worth solving before you start last thing you want is blockages when plants are like 30kg full of water maby lst into room and near harvest.

an air stone would be the only way i can see you being able to grow most of the roots under water without problems

yeah i had a freind who had the over flowing happen in his recirc system stained all the crapet a nice yellow tinge, the roots had glogged up all the holes. we fix it by just lifting the pot out and drilling a fudge load of holes around the the bottom edge. and about the roots in the nutrient solution i reckon its fine, would be ideal if u had an airstone but not needed, its also a good back up if the pump dies then u got a bit of time to work it out as they still got some water to drink at the bottom. my mates recirc roots which are permently submerged are real healthy looking all a nice pearl white no brown what so ever