Which lights?

I am just wondering, i need some cheap lights which i will use for the whole grow, germing, vegging, and flouring. i'd go for an hps, but i heard they are hidiously expensice, so would a couple compact (or not, what's the difference and which i better?)flouros do the trick?

i need them to be less then 100$ thanks, for anyones info, the grow box will be around 2' x 2' x 2'

thanks a bunch

crazychicken

Hey Crazychicken,

go to your local hydro shop and ask for a second hand 400watt hps, it will set you back between $50-$90, a 600 $90-$150.If you want a brand new 600watt adjusta shade, this will cost about $220-270, a 400 about $150-$170.If you want buds the size of your little nail then go flouros.If you want buds the size of your hand then go the hps,s.

Hey Crazychicken,

go to your local hydro shop and ask for a second hand 400watt hps, it will set you back between $50-$90, a 600 $90-$150.If you want a brand new 600watt adjusta shade, this will cost about $220-270, a 400 about $150-$170.If you want buds the size of your little nail then go flouros.If you want buds the size of your hand then go the hps,s.

I think your prices may be a little out. My 400watters with adjusta shades cost me $250 each

HID globes lose efficiency with use, they should be replaced after 4 grows and ballasts also deteriorate with use. My 430w Son-T-Agro's cost me $220 each, that is less than the cost of an ounce of mj and during its life it should produce a minimum of 3 pounds.

Don't stuff around with second hand lights, saving a few dollars will cost you ounces.

The reason for the question about the CF's though is that a HID does not belong in a grow box measuring only 2' x 2' x 2'.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

g'day; son-T-agro is a bulb type, if you paid $220 for it, you was robbed severely.

ballast will last for years, replace bulbs every 12 months - 18 months max.

my 600HPS fixture and ballast cost about $280 7years ago. 2nd hand 400MH lowbay unit cost $150 inc bulb.

don't buy 2nd hand bulbs.

if you can afford to buy $100 in buds each week then you can afford to buy light setup.

you can use grolux fluoro from seed to harvest if done correctly, you can yield good crops also.

g'day; son-T-agro is a bulb type, if you paid $220 for it, you was robbed severely.

The discussion was about complete light set-ups the $220 was for a ballast, bat wing shade and globe. A new ballast comes with a much longer warranty than a second hand one does, I'm not exactly rolling in money myself but there are some things that are better bought new.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

Yeah, seriously dude, the flouros are good for mothers and vegging, but I've never seen any good bud grow under em. You'd be better off buying a foily. A decent 400 watt hps is about 200 bucks. But you need a bit more space. Still, if you are going to go the flouro way,

get something like the powerglo flouro tubes from grolux. You can buy them at any aquarium. Keep the globes as close as possible to the plant and maybe train the plant to grow sideways with some wire or something. A bit like this terrible ascii drawing -

------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------ tube

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** buds

_I I__I I___I I__I I__II___I I___II__ stem

bend - I

I

____I___

I I

I I pot

I____I

I know not everone has the luxury of a good space and the cash for a hid, but you'll probably end up getting one eventually, but this is a good start. Good luck with it.

Vazman

("It aint what ya grow it's the way that ya cure it")

ok that drawing came out really fu*&ed up, but the idea is to put the pot at one end on the tube and bend it to grow at right angles, parallel to the light, about half a cm below it. I hate ascii drawings. Even if it had worked it would have looked sh#^house.

Vaz

"Buddimite - it puts a rose in every cheek"