Earliest you can sex a plant ?

Hi there

I got 10 bubbleberry seeds grwoing outdoors and all have just sprouted B)

Anyway, i dont want to keep the whole 10........

Whats the ealiest you can make an educated guess about the sex of the plants ?

I dont want to wait until i can see male flowers etc ?

i was reading that males are usually taller and have thicker stems in the early veg stage ?

has anyone got any others tips like that ?

just want some tips to help me try and sex them before they actually start showing flowers..........

cheers

JAS

:)

:) sorry mate but there is no 100% way to know untill u see flowers.

:( males do tend to grow a bit taller and faster as seedlings as the females tend to establish more of a root system instead at this stage.

:( I separate my plants early using this observation, but after 20yrs I still end up with some females in with the males and visa versa.

B) If you start them in full sun, then move them to an area that receives less sun after a few weeks, they should show a few flowers without going to bud. I put them back into full sun after sexing anyway.

:( Hope this helps, good luck...

:toke: :toke:

...a plant will show pre flowers during veg usually after the 6th node...
Really? I hadn't heard that before.

I would like to add to the above the warning that sometimes you get hermies - plants that show female pistils and flowers but grow male pollen sacks as well. For some strains I've had one in several of them be that way. I don't like 'em personally... but they're good if you only have one seed! :peace:

I had my first experinence with pre flowers this month. A cs which i kept as a mother started showing pistills likein stoney's pic. I thought my timer must've messed up. Wish i knew this before. would've saved some aggrevation for me. Basically the plant is ready to mature (think in humans we call it puberty :peace: ).

Yeah, you could call it puberty. It's best for plant health IMHO to allow them to show preflowers under a vegetative cycle in their own time. This can be as soon as 4 weeks or as long as 8. But from seed you can also take clones of younger plants, (if possible) and then put these cuttings under a 12/12 cycle. This will show (provided you label things right) which plants are male and female without affecting your seed grown plants. You then discard males and reclone the female for future lines. :peace:

Forcing a young seedling into flower for sexing purposes isn't ideal, but it can be done to ensure you have only females in your selections. Just make sure to revert them once you've seen which ones are boys and girls and continue to vegetate them to the desired size.

But yeah, short answer, earliest opportunity for sexing with a vegetative plant is around 4-8 weeks, with 6 being the avg.

...But from seed you can also take clones of younger plants, (if possible) and then put these cuttings under a 12/12 cycle. This will show (provided you label things right) which plants are male and female without affecting your seed grown plants. You then discard males and reclone the female for future lines....

Luke do you need to root the cutting(s) before you attempt to sex them, Or can you take the clone(s), give them a day or so to settle and then flick the light back?

:peace:

You can root cuttings under a 12:12 cycle. It's not as fast or as vigourous but to offset that you could perhaps make the first week or so 18/6 and then drop back to 12/12 after that.

But yeah, you can root them under 12/12, you just don't root them quite as quick. If your aim is to just see preflowers and some rudimentary flowering growth, which you then perhaps even discard, it's not that much time.