A letter to Jack Herrer

Jack,

I live in Southern California. I'm 28 years old. When I was 23 I found out that I had testicular cancer. I had my surgery and then had to start chemotherapy. My oncologist at UCLA medical center told me that my cancer was spreading to my lymph nodes and that a very aggressive chemo treatment would be needed. Needless to say, I was very sick throughout the treatment.

Throughout the treatment, my doctor tried everything he could to curb my nausea and give me some sort of appetite. Everything failed. My doctor then prescribed Marinol to me. The synthetic THC pill. I tried it, but it was no help to me. The doctor became very concerned. The chemo was working to kill the spreading cancer, but unable to eat and in constant misery, it was killing me too.

One day, my doctor pulled me aside and asked me if I had ever smoked pot. I told him I had a little in college. He told me that I should get a hold of some and try it out. He said it would have a more potent effect than marinol. I found a local doctor that did prop 215 recommendations and went with my Father to go see him.

My Father and I have always considered ourselves a conservatives and have voted republican, however, seeing his son in the condition that I was in opened his eyes. My father could care less at this point about any ideology or political bullshit. He would have killed to see my health improve. Not only did he go to the doctor and pay the bill for me, but he also gave me some cash to buy the pot a few days later and sat with me when I smoked it. Compassion.

The marijuana helped me get through the rest of my chemotherapy with some dignity and much less pain and nausea. My white blood cell count, which was way down before, finally came back up. I was able to eat again too. After five and a half months, I was cleared of the cancer.

I've been living without the cancer now for several years, however, I continue to use marijuana now that I know about its other medical uses. I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder, causing a major sleeping disorder since the age of 17. Today I choose when I sleep, and that has helped me in my everyday life. I am a former division 1 athlete. I played sports until I had a major injury to my knee. Surgeries have helped, but I could never play again and have been left with UNBELIEVABLE arthritis in that knee. The pain is so bad when it strikes that I can't help but groan out loud uncontrollably until the pain is relieved. Without medical cannabis, this can last for days at a time. Not even vicatin helped to ease that pain.

Anyway, its been a hard life, but I can proudly say that for all of my medical needs, I do not use a single prescription drug. I'm not against prescription drugs per-se, but why would I use them when I have a healthy and perfectly natural solution?

That's the short version of my story Jack. Thanks for reading. I have one gripe I'd like to share with you though.

Marinol is an FDA approved drug. If you look on the website for marinol, www.marinol.com it is a synthetic form of delta-9-thc, the same chemical that is known for it's "high" effect in the cannabis plant. The FDA had to research and deem this product to be of medical use and value to get the FDA approval. How then can the SAME FDA say that marijuana has no medicinal value? I am upset about this because I have read that federal courts do not allow the "medical use" defense because of these statements by the FDA, the same FDA that approved marinol. This is blatant and wide open dishonesty, and that can not be disputed. Please make this an issue if you haven't already. I think it is important for everyone to know.

Sincerely,

Someone who knows from personal experience...

:toke:

Hey Fmfracerpro ,

Congratulations on beating the cancer man , and I'm so glad that Marijuana has helped you through all that you have been through. And Its great to get confirmation from somebody else that it does indeed help greatly with pain relief. I know it does. ;)

lol

I thought your letter an excellent one , and was moved by It greatly.

I especially liked the part about you and your dad willing to try MJ despite Its demonization by ignorant majorities. I think most parents would be the same If It were their child in a similar position of Illness.

That is what all these stubborn politicians and voters need to realise. What if it were their child ... wouldn't they try anything they could to relieve their symptoms? ... Ofc they would , If they did indeed have , Compassion.

B)

My doctor doesn't say anything to me when I tell him that MJ and Beer work for me , he just asks how much I use , and I tell him. I've said , surely if these work for me (No matter how unhealthy drinking everyday is) , then it is no worse for me than all the pharmecuetical drugs I would have to take instead. Plus , the tolerance that you can build to Painkillers , sleepers , anti-depressants etc. is alot. Not to mention how much internal organ damage that would do after a few years. I think He agrees with me , But stays relatively silent about it.

:)

Now , I'm not smoking anywhere near the quality of JH , but If I were , I'm sure I wouldn't drink anywhere near as much ... I don't think I'd want to If I was really stoned again , like I could be years ago off of a decent smoke. ;) Not to say the natural Outdoor I've grown doesn't work of course , It's quite nice , but doesn't have the relief that comes with some other strains. I want to grow a Med strain , but we all know the dillema of trying to get seeds thru etc. ... I will try one day.

:(

I wish they (corporate government) could make it easier on us , It really is detrimental to anyone involved to keep these insane laws going ... and they should at least stop being so scared of what they don't know and start by making It (MJ) available to the ones who really need it.

i.e. Medical Marijuana and the ability for people to grow their own naturally MUST become a part of our society and modern medicinal treatments. Anything otherwise is insanity on the part of those responsible for the changes of these laws.

:)

Sorry man , I didn't realise I was going on and on ... I just feel rather strongly about this issue , as do many of the members here at OzStoners.

Good Luck for the future Fmf , and I'll seeya round tha joint. (Joints or bongs?)

Goodbye 4 Now ...

:(

From Budman. :bow:

lol The more people who tell their story about medicinal cannabis use the better .

with a bit of luck , oneday , there will be enough voices that even the government will have to listen.

B) I have a friend who suffers with cronic post traumatic stress disorder . After going down the track of prescription medicines with no positive outcomes , they now self medicate with cannabis finding it the only thing that helps.

:) their biggest complaint is the variation between different buds finding some work better than others.

:toke: :bow: :(

Great letter fmfracerpro. Sorry to hear about your health problems, and happy to hear you faced them all well, with the help of family, and cannabis.

Really liked the compassion and open mind your ol man showed too.

Health and happiness to you mate, thanks so much for sharing that story.

I know a few chronic severe ptsd sufferers. Some use cannabis, others use the anti d's, or maoi's. There's still some division in opinion as to what works better for whom. But each person is different and some are still affected by the many untruthes spread about cannabis.

It helps me too bro :toke:

I dont have cancer this is a post that jack herrer had on his myspace. I just thought you all would like to read it. The only thing im fighiting right now is I had 1000 lbs fall on my havd and crush it to hell and weed has helped me get through the bad sharp pain and I think It helps In physical Therpy. Sorry I didnt make it more obvious that the letter was not about me.