Lib push on drug-drivers

Lib push on drug-drivers

January 23, 2003

A DEVICE that can test for illegal drug use could help police combat

people driving while under the influence of drugs, the State Opposition said yesterday.

Infrastructure spokesman Brett Whiteley said the device, which only needs a swab of saliva, could hold the key to testing drivers suspected of being under the influence of illegal drugs.

"The Cozart RapiScan, or a similar device, may be applicable for testing drivers who police reasonably believe may be under the influence of drugs such as marijuana," Mr Whiteley said.

"Clearly the technology is available, or at least is on the horizon, to enable police to accurately and easily test drivers who they suspect may be under the influence of drugs."

Mr Whiteley said the State Government must continually investigate new responses to drink and drug-driving to complement existing strategies such as random breath testing.

"The Labor Government has a duty to protect Tasmanians on the roads but drug-driving is an area where it has clearly failed," he said.

Meanwhile, Police and Public Safety Minister David Llewellyn has expressed disappointment at the high readings returned by some drivers who were breath-tested during the Christmas-New Year holiday period.

"For 175 drink-driving offences to be detected in the 14-day period should be of major concern to the entire community," Mr Llewellyn said.

"The high blood-alcohol readings of some of the drivers indicate they are still ignoring their responsibilities to other road-users.

"When 0.05 per cent is the legal limit, for a driver to return a reading of 0.306 per cent is staggering, to say the least."

He said driving was a privilege not a right.

The Mercury

Guest Urbanhog
He said driving was a privilege not a right.

does anyone argee with is? is driving a right or a privilege, I really kinda cant make a descision is its a right? or a privilege?

because I mean driving has its own risks and you can easily put anyone's including yourself's lives in risk/danger which can cause death......

I mean if you pay taxes... I think it should be a right because I mean, your taxes paid for the road building costs?

how can it be a privilege? just because you followed the Federal and State law's ???

bit hard for me to argee which one.... :blink:

Urbanhog http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/sp/chefico.gif

Having had to deal first hand with the results of some drink drivers that thought they had every right to drive because they had a "better than average tolerance for alcohol" I am quite happy to see drink drivers lose their "privilege" to drive.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

Hmmm thought about this and looked up the old dictionary...

You have the right to drive - after you have passed the necessary tests etc to earn your licence and as long as you obey the laws.

But you don't have an inalienable(sp) right to drive just because you live in Aus (or anywhere else probably).

Is it a privilege? I'm not sure it is a privilege, it's not something special that only a few people have access to or are given.