Homemade EC metre

works now file that one in gazza's intray and see what he thinks he the king of ghetto and duct tape but from what i can see unless you just had all this stuff already around the house you would be able to get a good ppm and ec tester off of ebay for alot cheaper

Wow, very interesting een. Have you ever tried it yourself?

Looks way too complicated for me, although I understand it I could never build it, :thumbsup:.

Cheapest EC metre I can find is bloody $80 and then $10 for postage.

Anyone know of a cheaper place to get an EC metre?

eBay is full of expensive metres, no cheapies!!.

Yeah I built it but by the time you put it in a box and buy calibration solutions, you are worse off. Theres a chinese knockoff of the NZHydro Truncheon on ebay for $35 + $10p/h, assuming it lasts as long as the original thats pretty good isn't it? I bought my NZHydro truncheon 2nd hand for $70 about 3 years ago, haven't even had to change batteries yet.

I wouldn't assume that anything made as a knock off would have anything like the durability and all round reliability of a Bluelab (formerly NZ hydroponics) truncheon. I betcha the knock off doesn't have a 5 year warranty.

Look at it this way. If you divide the cost of a truncheon, about 130 bucks or so, give or take, by the 5 year warranty that means it's only costing you $26 per annum to have a very reliable and solid e.c. meter which will last practically forever. I think that's a pretty damn good price myself.

I was looking on ebay last night and seen an ec meter for $49 buy it now + $10p&h, i was thinking of getting one but mite wait and save me $$$ and get a truncheon.

I have a TDS meter i got off ebay that i use but it can be a pain to work out tds into ppm or ec witch i havent done as yet and are still looking for a chart to help me convert tds into ec and ppm that is easy to understand...