Tassie workers face new saliva drug test

Tassie workers face new saliva drug test

By DANNY ROSE

January 21, 2003

A GROUND-BREAKING machine that can detect recent drug use in saliva

samples in just 12 minutes has arrived in Tasmania.

And its owner _ a Hobart private detective firm _ is marketing it to Tasmania's major employers.

The Bellerive-based firm Thomas Whayman & McCarthy unveiled the Cozart RapiScan device yesterday.

It could be in action on the state's worksites, under the name Integrity Sampling (Tas), by next week.

Firm partner Colin Thomas said it was the "perfect workplace tool" as it detected drugs within about 24 hours of testing.

Conventional drug-detection methods require a two-day laboratory test involving blood or urine.

Mr Collins said these methods could detect drug use "long past the period of intoxication".

"Integrity Sampling is not the lifestyle police," he said yesterday.

"If an employee chooses to take whatever drug on a Friday night, that's a decision he makes as an adult.

"The problem for the workplace is if the employee is taking illicit substances prior to work, or during, where he affects his own safety and the safety of others."

Using the device, testing can be conducted at the workplace by placing a swab in a worker's mouth. The worker's saliva sample is then placed into a canister and inserted into portable suitcase-sized device.

Within minutes it will print out any positive readings across the five major types of drugs.

These are marijuana, opiates including heroin, amphetamines such as speed, cocaine and benzodiazepines, which are pharmaceutical-type drugs.

Mr Thompson said independent testing showed the device was accurate in more than 98 per cent of cases.

And he said transport firm Lynfox, which operates in Tasmania, had already signed on.

The Australian Workers Union, representing industries such as mining and construction, did not welcome the news yesterday.

AWU industrial officer Robert Flanagan said: "The union's position is that we don't support employees consuming drugs or alcohol in the workplace.

"But we also, as a matter of principle, don't support employees being subjected to testing because it is intrusive."

The Mercury

Guest Urbanhog
A GROUND-BREAKING machine that can detect recent drug use in saliva samples in just 12 minutes has arrived in Tasmania.

:P.... this makes me laugh..... anything "so called new" is "GROUND BREAKING" even its been on the planet for several years....Tasmania is living 10 years behind.....

(sorry Tom.... but I used to live there mate :D )

Urbanhog http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/sp/chefico.gif

Seeing the amount of money some parents get off the Govt., (sometimes more than minimum wages), I always wondered why people chose to work. Especially with subsidised health care, public transport, etc, etc.

This is just another reason not to work. I work, and would be bored stiff sitting at home every day on benefits, but FUCK this intrusion of privacy.

I know it is an old issue and some employers have been doing it for ages. Just wanted to have a spit. :angry:

A GROUND-BREAKING machine that can detect recent drug use in saliva samples in just 12 minutes has arrived in Tasmania.

:D.... this makes me laugh..... anything "so called new" is "GROUND BREAKING" even its been on the planet for several years....Tasmania is living 10 years behind.....

(sorry Tom.... but I used to live there mate :P )

Sorry hog but they've been doing saliva "spot checks" as well as blood tests in the west coast mines since they first introduced the mandatory drug/alcohol testing, I remember discussing it here before with BB in relation to testing drivers, you may even find they were using them here first.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

g'day; i heard on jjj news today that Mt Isa mines are suspending workers found to be taking paracetamol. they are testing for all drugs, anyone on any drug is being victimised.i also heard that drug testing is robbing mining towns of good much needed miners.

i dont know full story yet.

Guest Urbanhog
Sorry hog but they've been doing saliva "spot checks" as well as blood tests in the west coast mines since they first introduced the mandatory drug/alcohol testing, I remember discussing it here before with BB in relation to testing drivers, you may even find they were using them here first.

[

Looks like I am the one thats's 10 years behind in tassie news :P

:P :D

Guest Guest
if the unions allow workers to be drug tested without mangerment taking the same test then they are allowing their members to be victumised, how about drug testing pollies :(

I agree with ya there "guest", ;) the unions are letting down their members if they don't insist on an all tested or none system.

And another thing, the original post said,

Mr Collins said these methods could detect drug use "long past the period of intoxication".

But then "Mr Collins" goes straight from that, to....

"Integrity Sampling is not the lifestyle police," he said yesterday.

"If an employee chooses to take whatever drug on a Friday night, that's a decision he makes as an adult.

"The problem for the workplace is if the employee is taking illicit substances prior to work, or during, where he affects his own safety and the safety of others."

It does make sense to test workers who are in high danger working areas, you don't want your workers at the coalface wasted or drunk off their faces and thus causing accidents, deaths, downtime and money. But if these saliva tests are detecting people who have used a recreational drug days, or even weeks ago, which would have no effect on their ability to work efficiently and safely, and to then fire or suspend workers for a positive result on one of these tests, is just stupid! He claims that the use of drugs in the miners own time is their own adult decision, and yet if the miners use any drugs whatsoever, even if they used it days or weeks ago, and it has no effect on their abilities, they end up suspended or fired!? It's blatant discrimination on the basis of personal choice. If they had a test to determine actual intoxication, that would make sense. But simply using a blanket policy of, " Use drugs, lose job, tough shit" even if the use of those drugs is not directly impacting on their work performance, is ridiculous and discriminatory.

Taking the Mr Collins logic to its conclusion should lead to drug testing of pollies, because they work in a job with wide ranging ramifications. A polititian such as Mr Howard would, and should be tested not only for drugs affecting his performance now, but any use of drugs detected should automatically disqualify him from holding such an important and responsible position. Likewise would go for the executives in companies. The union movement should, but probably never will, argue this. If they pushed hard enough, they could get the powers that be to re-think the testing methods used on mining sites. Unfortunately, we're stuck with money-grabbing, politically destined union leaders, as opposed to true members of the working class at the helm.

Recreational drug use is a personal choice and liberty of the individual issue, not a work issue. The only time that the use of drugs should be tested for and used as a basis for job placement/removal, should be when these drugs are either being used on site and affecting work performance or safety negatively, or the use of these drugs has turned into abuse, and has also affected job performance or safety negatively.

In fact, I would be suprised if the use of "illicit" drugs was not actually beneficial to the bottom lines of the major mining, and any companies really. Once again, provided that the use of recreational drugs by a worker is not directly affecting performance on the job in a negtive way with respect to performance or output, then the use of these drugs could go a long way to ensuring a happy, and therefore productive workforce. What do you guys think?

Coming from the country, and having family within the mining industry of the north west in W.A., I've seen just how ridiculous the drug testing policies are. Alcohol is by far the most dangerous and harmful drug in these areas, not only because of the dangers of having a drunk workforce, but the inherent health effects that come from the high consuption rates of alcohol in these towns. The amount of alcohol that the average worker in these towns consume is staggering! Because they aren't allowed to use anything else, they turn to either the grog, or go to different illicit drugs, like heroin and speed, because they don't test for some of these, depending on where you work of course. So you end up worse off than you were safety and productivity wise than when you didn't have drug testing.

IMHO... :(

(Pant, pant.... huh....huh...phew! :( )

Guest Field_of_Light
'My previous employer wanted to bring the same tests in....the problem????.....70% of the males smoked weed and they knew it....and they cant get rid of them because none wants to work there.......