male and female parents

Guest SOMEONE

Guest SOMEONE

hey peeps,

i was wondering with cross breeding,i know that the strain in front(1st) is mum and the cross is the dad..

now what i was wondering is what is the difference say in crossing a PPP female with a male MEXICAN SATIVA to croSSing a female MEXICAN SATIVA with a male PPP./.....

WHAT ARE THE TRAITS ASSSUMED BY THE NEW SEED??oops sorry caps

im just try to get a grip on breeding...does it matter which way u cross??

and now out of the seeds produced do i cross them again with a different MEXICAN SATIVA???

or can i cross it with a strong male from the same generation as seeds already produced??

itsa crazy all the bits of breeding???

what if i threw in a northern male and then with those seeds produced cross it with a male from same seed stock???

hope that someone else can make sence of this ramble

and is able to post some helpfull replies??

take care happy growing

s

Edited by SOMEONE

hey SomeOne,

youve really asked about a whole horticulture lesson here sort of.

now usually the female is the stronger of the 2 and usually its the female traits that will show more...

providing you have 2 pure strains... its easy..

a MSxPPP lets say the MEX is the female....now you cross the male PPP, you will end up with 3 main traits, or phenos... one pheno will be more MS another will be more PPP then the 3rd will be the cross... most of the seedlings will be the 3rd pheno.. or the cross. now this cross is called an F1.. not stable but throwing back to the parents...by chosing a male and a female of the 3rd pheno, or cross then by crossing these together will stablize the strain.. every seed from this cross should be the 3rd pheno... now If you were to cross the 3rd pheno with the 2nd pheno(or the male parent throwback) then you start the process again... this is called a F2... not stable.. now an F2 strain when seeded will throwout 16 phenos.... I think.. this is where it gets really complicated... then take one of these phenos and cross with another completely different.. then you get F3.... now it gets really really complicated.....

so here I will just say.. by a fuckin book...B)

Marijuana Botany... by Robert C Clark.. this is THE BEST breeding book I have ever seen and explains in great detail about sexing, growing and breeding....

you can see just how complicated it can get... breeders will prefer f2''s, f3's and even f4 hybrids, this way they can seperate different traits with in the strains, thus comeing up with wonderful new strains for us...

take this in to consideration though.... every cross you do you need to plant out a 100 plants to check consistency with in the strain and to pick out the different traits.. ive spoken to a few breeders and they say with some F3's and f4 strains they need to plant out over 1000 seedlings.. just because of all the different phenos you get from those hybrids...,

so you can see, working with a pure strain is fairly easy.. but as the strains move from pure to hybrids.. then it can get really confusing and complicated.. probably the reason why OZ has fuck all true breeders.. the amount of seedlings you need to keep track of is rediculas and really doesnt fit in with the OZ way of growing... now if they changed the laws.. I think OZ would have some of the best breeders in the world..

we certainly have the BEST growers...B) Id like any one to challenge me on that..:sly:

Guest SOMEONE

fucken oath

thanks ss and frazzle for your inputs..

i will leave it up to those that can grow out the 1000 seedlings

my missus would have kittens if she suddenly started to see extra seedlings around the joint!!!!

might just focus on the ppx mex sat ive allresdy played with

thanks guys

take care

peace out

s

yeah SomeOne,

if you work with a stable strain its really easy.. you only need to plant out 100-1000 seedlings if you were crossing hybrids.. like an F3 with another F3 strain.. just becuase you do get so many different phenos.. but with a stable strain you will only get the 3.. much easier...

also take this into consideration... with an F3xF3.. you need to flower all of them too to see the different phenos in flower.. also you need to flower the males.. to match them with the females.. sort of gives a new respect to those that breed new strains hey..:nea:

breeders do this to seperate traits with in the strains, then they can place those traits into the new strain...

but really what you want to be doing is pretty much what I do.. keep it simple mate...I couldnt imagine anything worse than getting busted with all them seedlings... especially when youve put so much effort to breed a new strain... I have been busted with crossed strains in the past.. and it sux...all that work down the drain...:P

Guest SOMEONE

yeah

no way ud attempt it in australia with the standover laws associated with pot..

if the passion rung true

youd have to relocate to somewhere in europe hay..

ill just stick to my couple of plants for perso..

take care

s