Dog Patrol

Oz

• Admin

A POLICE dog sniffed out two people who were arrested after a drug raid on Warrnambool's nightspots at the weekend. Acting Sergeant Brendan Broadbent, of Warrnambool police, said one person was found with three ecstasy tablets and

a small amount of cannabis and another with one ecstasy tablet.

The drugs were found as a result of the operation which involved using a Passive Alert Detector dog to detect drugs. In both instances the people were arrested near the toilets of licensed premises.

Acting Sergeant Broadbent said the operation on Saturday night targeted all of Warrnambool's licensed premises and surrounding areas and was aimed at the illegal sale, possession and use of drugs of dependence.

He said it was the first operation of its type to be carried out in Warrnambool for a while. A dog handler from Melbourne and 17 police officers from Warrnambool and the Regional Response Unit from Ballarat and Geelong were involved

in the raid.

Acting Sergeant Broadbent said the operation was the result of a lot of people reporting drug activity in the area.

He warned there would be more operations in coming months.

Warrnambool District Chief Inspector John Robinson said he had received a growing number of reports from employers concerned that employees were showing up to work under the influence of drugs.

Chief Inspector Robinson said drug use in nightclubs was an issue in Warrnambool.

``It's an issue that's probably difficult to quantify,'' he said.

``We know there's ecstasy and other drugs available and that's a concern to us but the biggest drug problem continues to come from alcohol.''

Chief Inspector Robinson said it was difficult to ascertain whether use of illicit drugs was becoming more common or just whether more people were reporting it.

He said the incidence of heroin use in Warrnambool wasn't high at the moment but that police needed to remain on alert because the situation could change in an instant.

Author: JULIE McNAMARA

Date: February 27, 2006

Source: Member Submission

Copyright: Copyright © 2006 Warrnambool Standard

yes good to see that they finally admit that there is a major alcohol issue but thats not good at all in regards to the cops starting to go through clubs and shit with the dogs i might have to start leaving my stash in the car from now on.

also i dont understand if they are saying that this drug problem is so bad why is it that through a big operation like this they only nabed 2 people and all they had was 3 pills and a bit of green i wonder if any heads rolled after that one.

and i have also heard that they are starting to do this at the big festivals and concerts in melb where they have a few dogs walking up and down the line to get in sniffing out drugs and shit whats this world coming to!!!!!!!