Diabetes Eye Health improved with Marijuana

Pa-uul

Question

Diabetes Eye Health improved with a Marijuana compound that Helps Stops Diabetic Retinopathy and Blindness

http://www.bestsyndication.com/Articles/2006/Nicole-WILSON/Images/02/022706-diabetic_retinopathy_marijuana_compound_blindness.jpg Eye that is damaged by diabetic retinopathy

February 27th, 2006, United States:

Diabetic patients are often threatened with damage to eyes and blindness. Researchers believe that cannabidiol, a compound that comes from Marijuana plants may help to stop the damaging retinopathy by slowing the growth of leaky blood vessels.  The cannabidiol compound does not get a person intoxicated but in the future may be able to help over 16 million Americans that have Diabetic retinopathy from becoming blind.

Dr. Gregory I. Liou who is a molecular biologist at the Medical College of Georgia and fellow researchers has received a $300,000 grant from the American Diabetes Association hope to help treat diabetic retinopathy.  "We are studying the role of cannabinoid receptors in our body and trying to modulate them so we can defend against diabetic retinopathy," Dr. Liou said.

When a person has high glucose levels it causes the retina of the eye to become oxygen-deprived.  This lack of oxygen makes the retina grow more blood vessels to compensate.  Because of the extra vessels there is leaking that can lead to damaged vision or blindness.

Cannabidiol is an antioxidant that might be able to keep the retina healthy.  The researchers have published studies in the January issue of the American Journal of Pathology with animals that showed some promise.  Cannabidiol helps to disrupt the destructive process from occurring.

"Cannabinoids are trying to ease the situation on both sides. They help save the neuron and, at the same time, make sure the microglial cells stay in microglial form. How good do you want a drug to be?" Dr. Liou said.

Dr Liou hopes that one day the cannabidiol compound would be included with the insulin injections to help diabetic patient’s health.

Author: Nicole Wilson

Date: February 27th, 2006

Source: www.bestsyndication.com

Copyright: © Best Syndication

See also: Marijuana ingredient useful in diabetes from upi.com NEWSTRACK

7 answers to this question

Its amazing how much tribal knowledge gets proven to be correct by modern science , the tribes dont know exactly how things work but through evolution they just know that certain things work . Heres a good case http://www.cannabisculture.com/backissues/cc06/elvybod.html Some native tribes in africa use it to help them see in the dark , jamaican fisherman have better night vision after smoking pot and could sail through trecherous reefs at night etc .http://prensa.ugr.es/prensa/research/verNota/prensa.php?nota=83 things that alot of cannabis users already know , but like ive said before if all sickness could be cured by spinach thered be no money in it would there ?

Yes the tribes observed nature as one of them.

It is a pity that certain drugs (ffs) have a more than negative sway on politicians.

Hypocrites.

My body tells me, it is a temple, that can be trashed by rowdy geusts 1nce in a while...

But always can be rebuilt to full restoration.

But,

do you maybe think that (shhhh) some people actually get these symptoms from smoking 2 much???

Some times i do... altho i certainly think there are medicinal uses for this wonderful nature.

Sometimes i think...

But im never sure :toke:

Pls dont burn the tribes. :applause:

Ganja cures Ignorance... Sometimes...

Peace all, nice dreamz, out.

:thumbsup:

Sht! ... I just realized i didnt say anything relevant about the original point (no?) !: The gov. seems to not even try and experiment with these compoundz 4 some sort of obscure(religious?) reason.

In varied experimentz conducted around the world (foratleasthalfacentury)(if not Aeons), It has been shown that there is a great possibility that the Cannibis Plant has many beneficial traits as a medecine.

FKTHPGZ! :toke:

Edited by Budman2012

WOW! That's great news!

I hope this breakthrough doesn't get swept under the carpet by big business.

Amazing stuff - I know a few people with diabetes I can tell.

Jimbo lol

Yeah, my life partner ;) ;) is a Diabetic and suffers ALL the worst effects :greedy: :nono:: . . . if only he could get his drug lol of choice 'legally' for all that ails him, I'm sure he's still doing so well (as far as vision, liver, kidney, digestive system etc) because he's a stoner, no doubt in my mind . . . B) I too find my vision is far better when smoking than when not, and then of course I can also eat too when smoking (avoid it like the plague when not smoking) :nono: . . . why don't/won't 'the powers that be' realise that hemp has fantastic medicinal properties . . . it's the best, all natural cure-almost-all (my Quack offered me sleepers and anti-depressants, I flatly told him I didn't want any chemicals :toke: ). Sigh . . . I know the answer to my own Q there too . . . just 'venting' . . . ;)