Indoor Satvia

Cypress

Hi All,

Pic was takin about 4 or 5 weeks ago, I've had him/her under a 12/12 cycle for 1 week, 2 days, and it's getting rather large. I've read that a satvia's flower cycle can last upto 20 weeks!!!! If this is the case, how much larger might I expect it to grow?? Currently it stands at 54cm.

I've recently (last weekend) lined the cupboard it's growing in with aluminum foil (dull side out) to try and increase the amount of light getting to the plant, but it's rather noisy now (i've got a desk fan on continuously to try and keep temps down), can anyone suggest a quick/cheap way to cut down on the racket?

I'm growing under 3 fluro's, two 20 watt, one 24 watt, the 24 watt bulb is a "day light" bulb, rated at 6400K, and looks "whiter" when compared to the other two bulbs, the others are a more yellow light, if that makes sense. I have a 2nd 24 watt bulb and am wondering if that's the better type to use??

Also, at the moment i've no way to move the lights up and down, have been moving the plant (boxes under pot), my question is, at the moment the bottom 1/3 of the plant is startin to yellow and not look good (i've already cut off 2 or 3 dying stems/leaves), I'm assuming this is because of lack of light? I pruned some of the fan leaves before putting into flower, and it doesn't appear to have hurt, would another pruning of the larger fan leaves help? And can anyone tell me if there's any set distance from the lights before the lights stop being effective??

Any advice/comments very welcome.

post-1-1042541039_thumb.jpg

I pruned some of the fan leaves before putting into flower, and it doesn't appear to have hurt, would another pruning of the larger fan leaves help?

Definitely not. You should never prune healthy leaves. they are the energy source for the plant. Plus you can use them to make hash or canna butter when you're done.

And can anyone tell me if there's any set distance from the lights before the lights stop being effective??

Everyone will tell you that you will get vastly superior results if you use a HID for flowering. If you want to stick to fluros you should get them as close as possible, no more than 100mm away, as long as they're not making the plant hot.

If you want to stick with fluros you could try hanging a few compact fluros on lamp chords down the sides.

Be sure to give us as many updates and pics as you can. I'm planning on growing a sativa indoors so I'll be interested to see how you go.

Hey Pipe,

I'm aware that prunin fan leaves isn't good, but I'm not sure I have any other choice, I don't want the plant to rot from the bottom up. U mentioned u can make hash from the leaves, i've heard of people smoking the leaves, do u know if there's much point in this?? I thought the only thing worth smokin/usin was the flower? (for gettin ripped obviously, i know u can make rope, etc, etc outta MJ too).

And yeah, ya right, I know HID's and HPS are better, but at the moment i'm strapped for cash, so fluro's r a cheap alternative, this is like an experimental grow, not real fussed on the results, just wanna get through a complete grow (seed, germ, veg, flower, harvest), then next time i plan to go hydro (currently in soil) and use a 400 (or 250) watt HPS.

As for the pics, it was a mates camera (it's a mates plant too, yes i'm aware of the security implications) so more pics will come when i can get hold of the camera again, or get my own :-) Now that would be good. But here's a close up of him/her to tide u over :-) There r a couple other pics, but the quality isn't real good, and it's all at the same stage.

post-1-1042543802_thumb.jpg

Hey Pipe,

I'm aware that prunin fan leaves isn't good, but I'm not sure I have any other choice, I don't want the plant to rot from the bottom up.  U mentioned u can make hash from the leaves, i've heard of people smoking the leaves, do u know if there's much point in this??  I thought the only thing worth smokin/usin was the flower? (for gettin ripped obviously, i know u can make rope, etc, etc outta MJ too).

don't think leaf is worth smoking. I remember smoking leaf in high school and it didn't get me high at all. its all smoke and no THC I reckon. But when I actually finish a grow of my own I'll let you know! :P

I've recently (last weekend) lined the cupboard it's growing in with aluminum foil (dull side out) to try and increase the amount of light getting to the plant, but it's rather noisy now (i’ve got a desk fan on continuously to try and keep temps down), can anyone suggest a quick/cheap way to cut down on the racket?

Aluminium foil is a poor reflector, flat white (not gloss) ceiling paint is the best way to do it on a budget.

I'm growing under 3 fluoro's, two 20 watt, one 24 watt, the 24 watt bulb is a "day light" bulb, rated at 6400K, and looks "whiter" when compared to the other two bulbs, the others are a more yellow light, if that makes sense. I have a 2nd 24 watt bulb and am wondering if that's the better type to use??

The yellow tone ones, they will be "warm white" and would be better for flowering, and they have a better spectrum than the "day light" ones.

at the moment the bottom 1/3 of the plant is startin to yellow and not look good (i've already cut off 2 or 3 dying stems/leaves), I'm assuming this is because of lack of light?

Yes, you will also get it to a lesser degree with a HID light, it is also part of the flowering process as the plant uses up the nutrients in the leaves, as these leaves are not replaced during the flowering cycle you should avoid pruning healthy leaves after the onset of 12/12.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

Thanks Tom, I'll look into gettin some paint next week (when i get paid next).

Also, with the bottom of the plant, i'm using flowering fertiliser (once a week at the moment) do u think this would help reduce the yellowing? Or maybe adding another light near the bottom of the plant help? (i'm just using cheap lamps ie $10 jobs from Bunnings with compact fluro bulbs in em) so adding another wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again guys, all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks Tom, I'll look into gettin some paint next week (when i get paid next).  

Also, with the bottom of the plant, i'm using flowering fertiliser (once a week at the moment) do u think this would help reduce the yellowing?  Or maybe adding another light near the bottom of the plant help?  (i'm just using cheap lamps ie $10 jobs from Bunnings with compact fluro bulbs in em) so adding another wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again guys, all help greatly appreciated.

Have you been thinning out the leaves during the veg cycle? If not then the yellowing would be due to lack of light.

Another cause could be that they are becoming root bound, what size are your pots?

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif 600