Other uses of hemp/cannabis/marijuana

Greetings fellow stoners,

I was unsure of where to post this, but I think as issue such as this would be highly politicised, so here we are...

After recently watching a downloaded documentary, it really occurred to me how remarkable this plant is. Here are a few things that can be made:

- Ethanol, a fuel (sure it can be made from other plants too, but due to the high cellulose content, cannabis is particularly suited for ethanol production)

- Fibre for clothing etc (cannabis contains one of the strongest and longest fibres of any know plant(

- Dietary supplement (the oil from seeds contains the most balanced combination of essential fatty acids found in nature)

- Paper (with the incredible rate of deforestation, it surprises me it is used more)

- Plastic (Henry Ford used hemp as one of the ingredients for the body of a car)

Sooooo, does anyone know of any organisations or companies in Australia doing anything with cannabis other than smoking the stuff?

Cheers B)

Edited by flipster

The hemp association of Western Australia are a good bunch, as are ecofibre industries ltd. You can see ecofibre on the web at www.ecofibre.com.au, although the Hemp Association you may have to email them to find much ou at the following addy... (not sure if it's still active...) rob@hempwest.org.au

The address is 842 beaufort street INGLEWOOD W.A. 6052 B)

Someone once said, (I forget who as I'm a stoner :D )

"There are 500,000 uses for cannabis, and only one is to get wasted."

anything they use crude oil for can be made with hemp seed oil.... fuel... tv's... so when ya look at it like that theres probably more...

it was law when george washinton was President that every american farmer had to dedicate %6 of their land to grow hemp for the army..... and if you didnt you were shot and your lands confiscated.. or something....it is well known that GW..( george washinton) smoked pot regularly

I have inline hemp cards...... its on them...

Edited by SukonmiSkunk

Ello,

Thanks for the replies people.

I've checked out that ecofibre site Luke and it's quite interesting. I'm thinking of starting my own little movement in my neck of the woods. I guess I would just have to go about it in a legal way... Otherwise I'll be spending time with bubba for having a field full of hemp.

Mmmmmmmm hemp (said in much the same way as Homer does when thinking about food) lol

I guess finding out about the appropriate legislation would be a good place to start.