Alcohol Withdrawal KILLS!!!

The 21-year-old was found dead inside his apartment near the Ohio Northern University campus on the day classes began last fall, NBC 4 reported.

Late last week, the Hardin County coroner ruled that he died from alcohol withdrawal.

But, Falk's friend said he wasn't an extraordinary drinker.

"I would say no more than anyone else in our age group -- a 21-year-old male," Blatter said.

"(I) see that as a drastic possibility. I didn't know you could not function to that point from not drinking," said Robert Walker, a friend of the victim.

Doctors agree that alcohol withdrawal is a very real syndrome -- just not one that commonly kills.

"Specifically, it can cause shaking, seizures and various other problems. Death is typically not one of them," said Dr. Kris Brickman, of the Medical University of Ohio. "I would find it very unlikely that this would be happening to a 21-year-old college student."

Hardin County Coroner Dr. Lawrence Kuk told NBC 4 that he had no further comment on the ruling. But, other medical examiners have documented deadly cases of alcohol withdrawal.

Watch NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com for additional information.

Source

I find it funny that not only can alcohol kill while you are drinking it, it can kill you when you go without drinking it too :unsure:

kinda makes you wonder why the australian government is so anti-weed but has no problems with drinking alcohol :thumbdown

Could you imagine the drinking population of Australia turning up to work every Monday if they hadn't drank away the previous week, over the weekend?  :scratchin

i imagine the amount of voilence in society would skyrocket :thumbdown but i totally think alcohol should be prohibited for a month just so the politicians can finally relise that aussies love getting loaded and will fight for their right to do so :smoke

happy 3000th+ posts dude!

if you wanna be flipped out, go down to the local bowling club and check out the government sponsored coasters :( they are black, have a picture of a man and woman on the front like the ones on a toilet door and on the back "teach" about safe alcohol consumption :( goes on to say how men can drink 2 drinks the first hour, but only 1 every hour after that, women can only drink 1 drink an hour and that you shouldnt have more than 4 drinks in one sitting, but then gives advice on how to deal with intoxication like drinking water and only drinking on a full stomache to prevent spewing :(

they might have changed since i last saw them, but i was flipped out because it encouraged people to drink while minimizing the "bad" effects so people could drink more, like wtf :)

Yeah, supposedly our government has had a policy of harm minimisation for a few years now (2000?), yet this is the first i've heard of it and of course it WOULD be for alcohol.

Now comparing alcohols toxicity/side-effects/after-effects to that of pot combined with simple harm minimisation, like with the educational coaster idea, leaves no reason for why MJ's prohibiton shouldn't be immediately lifted.

I mean not only does drinking alcohol KILL people, NOT drinking it kills people too, i mean wtf!!

Yeah, supposedly our government has had a policy of harm minimisation for a few years now (2000?), yet this is the first i've heard of it and of course it WOULD be for alcohol.

Now comparing alcohols toxicity/side-effects/after-effects to that of pot combined with simple harm minimisation, like with the educational coaster idea, leaves no reason for why MJ's prohibiton shouldn't be immediately lifted.

I mean not only does drinking alcohol KILL people, NOT drinking it kills people too, i mean wtf!!

we should send this topic into the editors of australian newspapers :)

its just a shame that alcohole is such a good taxable drug cause thats why the govermant does nothing and its also pretty funny how they have all these ads on he telly about smoking but the govermant takes a chunk of that pie as well.

the only reason that i can see that weed and some other drugs have not been decriminalised is the fact that the goverment would want a piece of the action on all drug sales so then people would just grow there own and they wouldn't get shit from it.

thats my 2 cents

;)