conversion bulbs...

Guest SOMEONE

Guest SOMEONE

have got phillips HPI-T PLUS 400 watt conversion bulb...works fine for veg... what are other people using????? why does the price jump so much up 2 to 600????

what would you say is the highesat performing 600w bulb???

Used Lucagrow lamps in the past, but i would use any of them....they're all HPS/MH, work the same, have the same gases in them

anything more is manufacture's hype and seller's spin

the average grower is not going to notice any difference

IMO ;)

rekon its cause the 600w is the by far the most popular so they hit the price up...you know hydro shops they often try to unload ya wallet lol

ive used no name chinese ones, they're ok but dont last as long, but they are cheaper

lol

Edited by Frazzle

rekon its cause the 600w is the by far the most popular so they hit the price up...you know hydro shops they often try to unload ya wallet wink.gif

would have to be eh? I mean theres not that much more to it.

Ive always wanted to try a conversion bulb, they seem to have alot more problems than a straigh MH or HPS according to a couple of shops ive spoken to. They said they have them in stock because people want them. But they are also getting heaps of bad ones coming back in to deal with. So they talked me out of buying them?

Has anyone used one of these for a few grows??

ive used a conersion bulb before long time ago think it was a 360 watter shape like a MH but had HPS internals worked just as good as any bulb these days i wouldnt really bother as the MH sunmaster will flower and phillips son-t and others have inhanced blue for veg it just all comes down to what control box u have or what colour light u would like to be working under i like working under MH (white light) but i dont have any problems working with HPS (orange light) its just a personal prefrance Edited by Gazza2001au

Yea, I just got stuck in my head that the added blue is awesome for veg yes, but does it effect the reds of the globe in the flowering stage?

eg more blue in flower, when we want red.??

i think the phillips son-t is a standard HPS lamp with an extra 43 watts of blue added im not sure if theres any difference to using a flowering bulb (not veg/flower) this is interesting i wonder if someone has two grows using each of the bulbs :scratchin

Guest SOMEONE
i tried a venture conversion bulb.... imo shit.... after 2 weeks clean just stopped working... since, the phtillips con bulb has served me well...im not 100% as i dont have light meter but was told that conversioin bulbs have a higher lumen ouitput compared to strait m/h....??????? has antone heard this theory also???

Never heard that one. If anything it would be lower due to the reduction in power.

If you mean that a HPS conversion bulb used on an MH ballast would give higher lumens, then yes, it would. But plants don't see lumens. :P

Conversion bulbs lose out in strength usually as they have to alter the innards of the things to take account of the different currents and way they're ignited.

MH and HPS mixtures would always give better results ultimately than solely MH or solely HPS, due to the more even spectral distribution. But really, MH and HPS both give good results used all the way through, and typically yeild quite adequately for most users desires.

Conversion bulbs typically cost a lot more than a dedicated bulb too, which can make a significant difference to your end costs. If a bulb dies on you I'd take it back and get a refund. And if they didn't give you one I'd take my business elsewhere.

rekon its cause the 600w is the by far the most popular so they hit the price up

yeah, they're only ever in it for the money and do nothing but rip people off.... It's got nothing whatsoever to do with the cost of the unit from the wholesaler.... :) Sheesh.

(to quote Homer Simpson.... "Oh and in case you didn't notice, I was being sarcastic!")

ive used both grow-up (cheap) and sumaster (expensive) 600w MH conversion bulbs in HPS ballasts. one grow up bulb stopped working after 3mnths, other 3 have gone on no probs. have noticed no difference b/w the brands in terms of plant growth with the two types of globe working side by side. except price $70 vs $125. althought the manufacture and quality of the sunmaster looks better. nicer shape too :)

i do notice however that they veg better under the MH conversion versus the HPS globes. the leaves are a nice dark green, whereas under the HPS they are a lighter colour and start 'twisting' for some reason. so i use the MH conversion for veg then switch the globes for flower. no probs

Edited by keepleft