getting fancy with PH tweaking...

"If you want to get real fancy, you can tweak the pH of your solution to allow more nitrogen in the growth phases and then readjust during the bloom phase for more phosphorous uptake."

anyone know what the optimum ph is in the grow and bloom phases???? ive always run 5.8 to 6.0 in rockwool. but ive heard that there is a optimum level for each stage - as per above. just cant find what it is!

I monitor what way my tank is moving , if PH raises I will set it up at about 5.5 and let it drift to 6.8 tops before adjusting , this drift generally works out over a week and as I dump weekly I usually dont need to adjust it at all after its first set up , so I guess Im covering the whole range mull likes over the week , if I had to have an ideal it would be 5.8 but I dont like a constant ph and like to let it drift within my range , works for me .

Rod

thanks guys

after taking readings from both the nute and rockwool i find that there never exactly the same. i guess the plant taking up nutes would impact the ph level in the medium

i find that the ph of the medium (rockwool) can be a few points above the tank (eg tank 5.8 = medium b/w 5.9 to 6.1). so i do the same as rod essentially - adjust tank to 5.5 and let it drift to 6.1 - 6.2 before re adjusting down.

i find the ph drift can quite rapid though (2 days)

Edited by keepleft

(((( i find the ph drift can quite rapid though (2 days) )))))

Even faster if your tank is on the smallish side and or your plants are large and powering , when its like that things can happen very quickly , I like a good size tank for its buffering , you will also find that ph varies not only in the slab vs tank but in different areas of the slab another reason I like flow in Rockwool , commercial growers stay within a pt either side of plant ideal and dont have any problems with that .

Rod