Documentaries

postman

Question

Thursday, January 19, 2006

SHOWTIME ANNOUNCES SIX NEW DOCUMENTARY PROGRAMS

Released by Showtime

SHOWTIME ANNOUNCES SIX NEW DOCUMENTARY PROGRAMS

Pasadena, CA January 19th, 2006 – In Showtime's continuing quest to present a slate of relevant and meaningful documentaries, six new documentary programs were announced today by Robert Greenblatt, President of Entertainment.

"Documentaries have long been an important part of our programming mix," said Greenblatt. "Last year's doc, AFTER INNOCENCE, which follows the lives of several individuals released from long prison terms after DNA evidence proved their innocence, is currently on the short list of documentaries being considered for Oscar® nomination later this month. With these varied projects we hope to offer our subscribers compelling true stories told by accomplished filmmakers."

A partial list of documentaries in production includes:

THREE DAYS IN SEPTEMBER

Oscar®-winner JULIA ROBERTS narrates this gripping film that exposes the 2004 hostage situation in the small Russian town of Beslan where Chechen terrorists seized a school and killed over 330 innocent people - many of them children. Some 1200 children, parents and school administrators were taken hostage and held in a sweltering gymnasium for several days, forbidden from eating, drinking and using the rest room until Russian police and Special Forces ended the stand-off in a 10-hour gun battle and bloodbath. "It was my honor to be asked to participate in this documentary," said Roberts. "While it is an incredibly sad story and shows some of the worst of humanity, it also shows the remarkable strength of family and love." From Emmy®-winning writer/producer Joe Halderman, Emmy®-winning Executive Producer Susan Zirinsky, and Senior Producer Peter Schweitzer and produced by CBS News for SHOWTIME, THREE DAYS IN SEPTEMBER contains shocking videotape and graphically illustrates a new breed of terrorism that irreversibly crosses the line of war practices proving that nothing in our world is safe or sacred anymore.

SHAME

SHAME is the eye-opening saga of an heroic Pakistani woman, Mukhtaran Mai, who spoke out against her community and government after she was sentenced to a gang rape as punishment for her brother's alleged infraction. She has become an international symbol for women fighting for their rights in countries whose lawful policies towards women are nothing short of barbaric. A young Pakistani filmmaker, Mohammed Ali Naqvi, developed a friendship with Mukhtaran and her family allowing for extraordinary interviews and access. Jill Schneider executive produces with Mohammed Ali Naqvi serving as executive producer and director.

SEXUALLY DANGEROUS

SEXUALLY DANGEROUS explores the fine line between "normal" sexual behavior and the pathological sex act. Award-winning filmmaker Debra Granik, working with the producing team of Drew Arvary, Lucas Platt and Todd Shuster, will vividly present a full range of real people who fall within Massachusetts' broad definition of 'sexually dangerous' by taking us into the Massachusetts Treatment Center which houses over 800 inmates who have been convicted of sexual crimes. Along with the patients, we will meet the doctors, lawyers, and professionals who counsel the victims, families and perpetrators, illuminating this unfathomable behavior and its devastating consequences.

MEDICAL MARIJUANA

In the continuing controversy surrounding the medicinal value of marijuana, seven chronically ill individuals continue to receive medical marijuana from the U.S. government even though the law was recently changed to stop this practice. Four of these seven will be interviewed for this documentary. Their illnesses range from M.S. and congenital cataracts to neurological dysfunction and hyperparathyroidism, incredibly painful maladies which are substantially relieved with marijuana cigarettes that have been provided by the federal government for years. While only these individuals continue to get relief within the law, millions of others cannot. This provocative film explores federal drug policy through the eyes of reform organizations, prohibitionist groups, politicians, drug war critics, scientists, and celebrities in an effort to make sense out of the divisive argument between drug abuse, recreational drug use, and medicine. Star Price serves as executive producer, writer and director with Mark Wolper and Joshua E. Kessler serving as executive producers.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cgi?i...60119showtime03

7 answers to this question

:lol:

yeh ACA always gets to the bottom of things hey... even if it involves standing on someones doorstep ringing their doorbell and shouting at them to come outside and face the camera ::P: (half the time i admit they do deserve it). Then they wonder why the people get aggro and try and break the thing!! :whistling

I hate video cameras at the best of times, let alone someone trying to shove one down my throat (basically) :lol:

sorry, back on topic..

Edited by nugget23

Thats the BEST THING about ACA, they are so into it... their cameramen I dont know how they do it, but they seem to avoid bashings. Some of those guys that they confront are big and crooks generally and look like they will burst a fuse at any minute. 60 Minutes was just good because it showed up to date life and its events. I hardly watch tv anymore, sad since the bloody thing is worth nearly 6g's.. lol. Its two years old and all Ive watched on it is news and a few movies.

Documentaries are my favorite, I hardly watch anything else.

A friend in the industry told me the current affairs camera crew usually take along "protection" when things could become heated, dunno about the other channels though....they have copped a bashing or two, especially the poor buggers who work for SBS.

I recently purchased a copy of 'Waiting to inhale'. Great piece of work. It shows the current state of debate on medical cannabis in America - unbiased showing arguments on all sides of the debate - doctors, researchers, patients, carers, parents, anti-drug campaingers, the christian right, law enforcement, legislature - ultimately it lets the science speak for its self and the result is a ringing endorsement of medical cannabis. Brash gives this one a big thumbs up :thumbsup . The paragraphs below are from their website:

"Waiting to Inhale examines the current debate over legalizing medical marijuana in the United States. What are the claims being made, and what are the stakes? Ten states have passed legislation permitting medical marijuana, but opponents claim that patients who advocate legalization are only smokescreens for the legalization of marijuana altogether.

Waiting to Inhale explores every side of the conflict, taking viewers inside the lives of individuals whose lives have been uniquely affected by terminal illness and drug use. Is marijuana really a gateway drug? Is there scientific evidence to support the claim that marijuana can treat the painful symptoms of illnesses such as cancer, AIDS and multiple sclerosis? The film sheds new light on this controversial struggle, presenting exclusive access to the first medical studies on smoked cannabis to take place in over thirty years."

post-2174-1139401462_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brash