Super Vapezilla

What's wrong with the good old fashioned vapes?  B)  Only set ya back $120 and they work like a charm.

Arrhg, don't confuse the man at this time, he's trying to make a decision :P

Niall, I'm still vap'ing mate!

Superninja: Here's my 2cents: go for the volcano or VCB to begin with, the Vapzilla(sp) look to me as a better secondary vap, maybe for your more diserning moments, haha.

A volcano is going to be my next purchase if that helps. It offers a quiter more conveniant system IMO. Also, I really believe these are the only two systems that can replace everyday herb useage, which was my goal. Some of the other vap's or OK every now & then, but they just don't get you really wasted from my experience. VCB or Valcano - u can't go wrong...

Arrhg, don't confuse the man at this time, he's trying to make a decision B)

Don't blame him mate, confused is my natural state. :P

Superninja: Here's my 2cents: go for the volcano or VCB to begin with, the Vapzilla(sp) look to me as a better secondary vap, maybe for your more diserning moments, haha.

Yeah I'm considering the VCB while I wait and see regarding the pricier jobs. Only problem I have with that is the (perceived) noise. I live in a unit, between nosey neighbours and I like to choof at all hours. And often. So I'm thinking if the Makita they talk about is ANYTHING like the heat guns I've used, i.e. about as noisy as a hairdryer, then it would perhaps draw unwanted attention being used in 1 minute bursts every 5 mins at 3am. ( I reckon I'd be thinking "what the fuck are they up to?" if I heard that :P )

Can anyone allay my fears and tell me from experience that the Makita is not that bad? I guess I could see if the Bunnings guy will let me try one...

Discerning, hey? Do you get the feeling the Vapezilla will deliver connisseur taste but not that much oomph? The precise temp control / exquisite taste is the thing that attracted me to it to start with but if it lacks in substance, well, we can't have that, can we?

A volcano is going to be my next purchase if that helps.

:thumbsup That would help heaps. And I'll only need access between about 7am and 3am. You can use it exclusively at ALL OTHER TIMES! Fuck this site is choc full of the BEST PEOPLE I'VE EVER MET. ;)

It offers a quiter more conveniant system IMO.

Quieter? Interesting. I have no idea why but I thought the Vapezilla might be quieter. Maybe 'cos it looks more like a mini oven with a gentle airflow / hose whereas I figured the Volcano would have to hum away to fill a large bag. Hmmmm

Also, I really believe these are the only two systems that can replace everyday herb useage, which was my goal. Some of the other vap's or OK every now & then, but they just don't get you really wasted from my experience. VCB or Valcano - u can't go wrong...

My goal too! Well I'd really appreciate any feedback on the noise of the Makita, specifically do you think It'd be suitable to use late in a quiet apartment. If so, I'll definately go with that for now.

Thanks v dub

Yeah I used my Steinel in a very small apartment all the time, it's a quiet hair dryer and definitly not intrusive. I'd just go for it, and hey Bunnings will take it back if you've got your receipt and the packaging is still in good nick.

Chev - nothing wrong with those vapes, they work as we both know, but there really is no comparison - you get what you pay for. They still smoulder and smoke, personally I'd just save the money and get a nice bong. What really hits home with hot air extraction is the flavour, and the absolute lack of any smoke whatsoever - it's night and day compared to the conduction models. I think you guys tried out the VCB one day but it wasn't enough of a go to really get it, and the Valloon is much better tool. Even still, I think you need to vape for a good couple of weeks to really appreciate the difference. It's not for everyone, not at this price, but if we can get the price down then I think most people who have given it an honest try for a few weeks would agree that it's the way to go.

Yeah I used my Steinel in a very small apartment all the time, it's a quiet hair dryer and definitly not intrusive.  I'd just go for it, and hey Bunnings will take it back if you've got your receipt and the packaging is still in good nick.

Beauty, Thanks mate. Sorted. Just gotta read the thread again to confirm the bits. I think its the 12 mm jet flo version I need from Vrips, a $50 Ice bong and a 16mm bonza style glass stem from Freewheelin?

I'm dribbling

Edited by superninja

How much does the steinel go for, btw?

Are there any other brands of heatgun that can be used?

From the Vrips website;

The Steinel HG 3002 LCD heat gun

Steinel's flagship model the HG 3002 LCD is the Porsche Twin Turbo of heat guns. The digital temperature display tracks the real-time nozzle temperature while in use and looks cool too! Don't forgot there are other heat guns without all the bells and whistles that work great with the SVT…please see the sources section of the SVT manual. If you're a Porsche Twin Turbo kind of person well there's no better choice.

PRICE: $189.99

That's USD btw, so around $250 OZ thru them.

The Makita 1100 is apparently just as good if not better in that the heat and fan controls are better situated and less likely to be bumped and changed than those of most other brands, including the Steinel.

It's available at Bunnings for around $130 OZ. The important thing is that it should have a ceramic heating element as the metal ones give off impurities.

Also best to use a new and purpose specific gun as an old one could be full of melted paint or other nasties.

Vriptech make available heaps of info at their site

http://www.vriptech.com/home.htm, such as;

II. Requirements; Settings; and Recommendations

The first requirement for the Superior Vaporization Technique, now

obvious, is the heat gun itself. The recommended models include many of the

Steinel made (both private label and Steinel brand) heat guns: the Makita

HG1100, the Steinel HL 2002 LE or HG 3002 LCD (HL 2005 E or HL 2305 LCD

for International 230/240V users), the Sear's Craftsman part# 27801 (which is

basically a Steinel HL 2002 LE with the Craftsman name on it), and the Bosch

1943 or 1947. The prices range from $62+ for the Makita on up to over $190 for

the Steinel 3002 LCD and the Bosch 1947. Some will be harder to find than

others (see the Implement Sources section that follows), but all are available.

The feature differences that account for the price range include different kinds of

switches, optional LED or LCD temperature displays, and on all but the Makita,

the ability to run the fan separate from the heating element for quick cool down of

the nozzle. Although some other less expensive heat guns can be used to

varying levels of success if one of the heat settings is in the right temperature

range (generally the “low” setting on dual temperature models) and by altering

the distance from the nozzle to the bowl and with such incorporated modifications

as an attached stainless steel kitchen funnel or makeshift foil reducer nozzle to

concentrate the air flow, the Superior Vaporization Technique will require one of

the recommended guns and a reducer nozzle or Vaporization Chamber Bowl for

optimum results (reducer nozzle unnecessary if Vaporization Chamber Bowl is to

be used exclusively). The less expensive heat guns are not recommended

because the heating elements they use are not ceramic encapsulated and will

eventually give off metal ions as they get used. It is recommended that a new

heat gun be used to avoid any possible residue contamination from prior

utility use and that prior to vaporization usage the heat gun is first run at

maximum temperature and maximum airflow in a well vented area for 20-30

minutes or longer with the fan on high to burn-off any residue from the

production process that may be present.

Hope that's of some help.

From the Vrips website;

The Steinel HG 3002 LCD heat gun

Steinel's flagship model the HG 3002 LCD is the Porsche Twin Turbo of heat guns. The digital temperature display tracks the real-time nozzle temperature while in use and looks cool too! Don't forgot there are other heat guns without all the bells and whistles that work great with the SVT…please see the sources section of the SVT manual. If you're a Porsche Twin Turbo kind of person well there's no better choice.

PRICE: $189.99

That's USD btw, so around $250 OZ thru them.

You want the 2305LCD or the newer 2310LCD model from Norray Resources here in Australia, I think it's about $200 or $230, somewhere round there anyway...

:scratchin Actually, I think I want the Makita if it's around $130 ish. But before I get one, I'd like to see what Vrips come up with.

Apparently their VHT (vapoorisation Heat Tool) is due out "soon" and it's designed specifically for vaping. Perhaps smaller or quieter? If they could make something perfect for it's intened use and keep the price under AU$200, I'd would definately consider that. Otherwise, Makita 1100 I guess.

Highrising, make sure you look at models with a ceramic heating element, controllable (or low) fan speed and also watch out for models that auto-switch off when they get too close to a surface. Safe but for our plans, useless.

I emailed the Vrips mob asking when they think the VHT will be available, but as yet no response.

:scratchin Actually, I think I want the Makita if it's around $130 ish.

Yeah I just checked, the 2310LCD is $240 + GST. Definitly go for the Makita, I think vdub and others have said it's good.

But before I get one, I'd like to see what Vrips come up with.

Apparently their VHT (vapoorisation Heat Tool) is due out "soon" and it's designed specifically for vaping. Perhaps smaller or quieter? If they could make something perfect for it's intened use and keep the price under AU$200, I'd would definately consider that.

Yeah it's been "coming soon" for a few years now, but just a few weeks ago they've gotten the prototype sorted so I hope they'll be in production 1st half of 2006. I'd expect them to be more than the Steinel at first, maybe even $3-400 delivered, but it's still too early to say. Should be about 1/3 the size and significantly quieter, good for both VCB and Valloon use. A cordless revision may come out in a few years, that's what I'm really interested in.

Highrising, make sure you look at models with a ceramic heating element, controllable (or low) fan speed and also watch out for models that auto-switch off when they get too close to a surface. Safe but for our plans, useless.

Also Vriptech recommend running the gun at highest airflow and temp for about half an hour to clear out any manufacturing residuals, then when you're ready to use it only ever use it at vaping temperatures, never go back to a high temperature as you'll increase the chance of by-products in the airflow (this isn't a medical grade device, plastics and electronics in the airflow before they hit the fan and nichrome element and ceramic housing).