Have 5 plants in a back room of the house I am living with. My roomate and I are doing it together 50/50. (Known him 8 years, lived with him for 8 yrs so its not a just met him kind of thing)

I have a problem. He wants to get fans and A/C installed for summer, fair enough, he owns the house, so he's getting an electricion to come over and quote then install em. The guy won't actually need to go in the room but i'm worried about the fact that he will be in the roof and the outlet exhaust goes up there. One of the fans being installed is the room directly next to the grow room.

I've pleaded with him to not have the electrician come over till its all flowered, dried and packed etc but he's a stubborn fuck, thinks this isn't a problem at all and is telling me to stop overreacting. Dunno, maybe I am?

K so what I want to know is .. I told him that there is no way in hell that I will go down for his stupidness and if the unfortunate event of a bust does ever happen to occur i'm going to deny all knowledge of anything.

It's his house, his mortgage (i'm not even named on a lease or any other document) in his name and I just rent a room for my son and I and I have my own seperate loungeroom etc. The door to the back room is locked and you cant see the light coming through.

My boyfriend lives in Canada and told me that he thinks the law over there is that even if you never had any knowledge of any cannibus, if its found on the premises where you arrived you go down for it too.

Is it the same here coz that law seems a bit harsh to me?

Any info would be so appreciated :devilred:

Im not a expert on the law by any means but here is my advice for what it's worth.

I think you could use the 'ignorance' defence if you don't really know the person that well but as you have mentioned you have known/lived with him for eight years so it's reasonable to assume that you would have 'reasonable'knowledge of his lifestyle and habbits. Shit I think eight years living with a partner would easily qualify as defacto realtionship (I know, he's just a mate but in the eyes of law it doesnt take much time to 'qualify' for a real defacto relationship-less than eight years for sure !?) So really it would be 'reasonable' to assume that you knew what was happening...?

I agree that it's not a good move to get the sparky in b4 the crop has finished. Check the roof yourself to c what you can smell yourself. If it smells then try and get your mate up in the roof as well so he can smell it for himself and hopefully that will inject some common sense into finishing the crop 1st. Also if you mention that it would be foolish to go to prison for something that was in his control then that might motivate him to wait till the flowering period is over.

If all else fails alot of tradesmen have DUI convictions and dont mind a smoke themselves so most of them would'nt care less even if your mate had a jungle growing-just make sure it's not one of those 'straighter' tradesmen that represent/work for the power company. And if he does insist on the visit then maybe get something in the roof the day the sparky is arriving to help mask the smell (that stuff for smelly bins they sell in Coles like 'Nilodour' etc).

Hope that has helped :yingyang :smoke

Hey Nikki.

I fully agree with your concerns mate, because even if you find a cool sparky, then it is still one more person that will know about the grow, maybe 2 if there's an apprentice too. :devilred:

Ok how long do you have left to flower, because it's also going to be hard to find a sparky right now being crissy? Keep stalling, because he might not get up in the roof for the quote. Then it might still be a couple of weeks before you see him onsite.

I'd say worst case, if the fella dobbed you into the cops and got the grow busted; as long as your roomate agrees to accept responsibility fully, and you don't get caught with any stuff in your room or lounge then you'll be safe if you deny deny.

You might be dragged in for q's, but it's not a lot of plants. Unless you have seedlings/clones as well.

Good luck, but best to wait till flowered out like you said. :rolleyes:

Well I'm no solicitor, but my understanding is that to be regarded as in possession of an illicit substance you have to be 'in control' of the substance, mere presence near a quantity of cannabis doesn't mean you are in control of it.

I was once present at someone's house when it was raided. Cannabis was found - knowledge of it was denied by all present - the lease holder of the property was arrested, the rest of us where told to 'piss off', which we did with all haste.

... but back to your issue, is it possible to employ a 'cool' tradesman?

hi nikki, your definately not overeacting, you have some legitimate concerns.

I knew people like your room mate aka "naaaah its shweet make, dude doesnt give a fuck, he probably grows himself". as i said I "knew" people like this :devilred:.

cops dont care if you renting or paying of a mortgage. Why would they give a shit about that?

Two adults and an illegal grow room it starts from there.

You get busted doing something illegal, they dont give a shit where.

They'll take you into one room, him into another. Let the games begin.

Not worth the risk having some dude mess about on the property. Its a friggen electrician for christs sake. You are right nikki, hes wrong - maybe hes had too much sun?

K so what I want to know is .. I told him that there is no way in hell that I will go down for his stupidness and if the unfortunate event of a bust does ever happen to occur i'm going to deny all knowledge of anything.

damn its always the way. :rolleyes:

wf

Thanks so much for all that.

I have managed to put the tradey off till Saturday. Heres the bit that really shits me though. My dad is an electrician, (grows too so no probs there) and said he can try and do it after Xmas. He won't charge the guy I live with any money. My dad got on okay with him so he's happy to do it free of charge but he's so impatient, wants it now now now with the whole she'll be right attitude.

He said "if we get busted just say you didn't know, i'll say its all mine, you never knew etc" but I'd rather it not get to that at all.

As far as the being considered a defacto relationship, won't go into details but that won't happen. Also the way we live is far from a defacto set up. Completely seperate living areas, hard to explain but the house is sorta divided into two parts, one mine one his. The grow room is in his part of the house.

Will try to twist his arm to get my dad to do it. Am getting sick of him making fun of me for being so "paranoid". He's like "ooooohhhhhh ita aaaaaallllllll a big conspiracy" blah blah blah.

Anyway, thx heaps for some great suggestions :devilred:

Edit: To answer the above question, plants have about 5-6 weeks to go.

Edited by Nikki