Big Probelm...

I have some white russian growing right now and they were all going great up until now....The lower leave's stems are starting to just give out and at some points in the stem its hollow like. On all of the plants, the main stem has a split that goes right down the middle of it. Around the split its starting to turn a a dark brownish color. Also some of the lower leaves are just drying up and I've given them enough water. I have no clue whats going on and the split down the stem is really bad to the point where you can see right through to the other side. Any one know what the problem is? I was thinking root rot.....but I have no clue what it really could be. I posted the problem on plantskunk to, to see what they thought.. heres a link to it.... Oh yeah the strains are white russian and papaya...

http://www.planetskunk.com/cannabis6538-0-asc-0.html'

I circled the spots where the problems are.. Some circles show where the stems are just giving out and some show where the stem has a big crack in it.

Oh I forgot to mention that I have 9 plants and they are all suffering from this.

post-6483-1134876184_thumb.jpg

post-6483-1134876216_thumb.jpg

post-6483-1134876234_thumb.jpg

Edited by *weedman*

Hiya

Looks like root rot to me that ended up drying out....ie rots from within, dries out and becomes hollow/split. How often are u watering it, how much are u giving it per water, and what medium are u growing in?

-D

PS. The way they look atm, I would start again. Cut clones from the middle section of branches on all of ur best plants and start again, cause having that much damage in the primary stem is going to make growing it a waste of time. Thats my opinion, but u might wanna check with some of the other boys...

Edited by Dohmar

You didnt grow these from seed did you? Looks like a clone thats been cut with a dirty knife and got the rot :scratchin

Is that straight coco & perlite you are using?

Edit: Is that a garage ur growing in? Whats the temps like in there? 2 dry?

Edited by jjfto

well ill probably go with you on that one because some said its either root rot or some fungus called fusarium which is reallly hard to get rid of. Cloning sounds like the best option, but the problem is I've never cloned before and will probably end up screwing up. I definitely will give it a try, but dont know how well it will end up... I have 5 definite females that are all around the same size of that one full plant picture. How many clones do you think I could get off of each plant?

What if I put some rooting hormone with fungicide on the split in the stem and put some peroxide in some water and water with that. Will that help it out any or should I just give up on them and take as many cuttings as possible?

yeah I grew them from seed and they are serious seeds white russian and nirvanas papaya. Its growing in miracle gro flower and vegetable soil/ perlite. This fucking sucks, I blew too much money on this to let it all go down the drain.

Edit: Im growing in a shed with a 400 watt MH/HPS. I was about to switch them to flower until this happened. Its about 55 F-65 F with the light off and about 65 F-70 F with the light on.

Edited by *weedman*

If it is happening on all the plants I think it must be something to do with their environment. So treating the plant will be a band-aid until you address the real issue of why it happened.

You don’t know how any of the plants will perform in premium conditions so don’t pick the best and clone it. Take 3 clones from each. One to keep and two spare in case some don’t root. Once one of the 3 has good roots you can dispose of the other two and start your grow from scratch

By what I can from the picture it may a case of Downy Mildew, damping off or root rots caused by Pythium and Phytophthora? If it is then you can use a Systemic Fungicide such as Fongarid. I use this to spray on my mother plants prior to cutting clones and then spray on the clones to especially avoid damping off. I have noticed that damping off can kill the majority of clones in the worst case scenario if left unchecked.

I'd hate to say it- but if it is damping off it looks like it is to advanced to do anything about it now and to get any clones from them as well. Go to Kmart and you should be able to get a systemic fungicide for a few dollars. I always spray my clones as a insurance to damping off as a insurance policy. However I have only experienced damping off in the clone stage of the plants life. The packet however does say that it can 'control' downy mildew in established plants so that may be the problem as well?

If you can get clearer pictures it might give me a better indication. Either way goodluck with problem :smoke

What if I put some rooting hormone with fungicide on the split in the stem and put some peroxide in some water and water with that. Will that help it out any or should I just give up on them and take as many cuttings as possible?

ok well do you have the equipment to take the cuttings? I agree that you have spent too much money on this grow to have it go to waste so i highly recommend spending a few more dollars to get the cloning equipment if you dont already have it...heat mats can be picked up for as little as $40 from home brew shops and $75 from hydro shops for the really cheap ones, at go-lo you can pickup lamps for $8 and compact fluros for $3, just smash the base of the lamp and remove the shade and you have a light but it would be best to get atleast 2, you'll need a mini greenhouse from big-w $20, rooting hormone and rockwool cubes, most rooting hormones are the same and average around $12, but get grodan cubes, not the cheap ones, they are much better for the cuttings to root into and take like 1/2 the time so you'll get the grow up and going very quickly again :smoke they are like $15 for 30 cubes but i think you can get smaller packs...

$109 for the $40 heat mat, 2 lights, mini greenhouse, rooting hormone and 30 grodan rockwool cubes....$144 for the lot but hydro shop heat mat :smoke

might sound like alot of money, but clones usually go for $100 for 4 cuttings, with 6 cuttings, you'll have made your money back + be able to take cuttings forever :)

just be careful and use something like h2o2, DM guardian, etc. on the cubes and cuttings to ensure this doesnt happen again, i think your peroxide will do the job, wait for someone to confirm it first though ;)