Simple cheap prevention root rot Pythium

Hi

Ive had a Pytium problem hound me every summer for a number of years , I tried everything and it alway came back , I think when you have a source and its giving you problems the recomended doses of pythoff and co will help wilth keeping it out of a system and not let bloom but will not eradicate it and the end result is the yields are always not what they should be , you can have this prick of a pest and not really know , it comes in forms from being serious where clones fall over dead or very mild where large plants just dont have the root system working at full potensial to give maxium yield , its like having a touch of the flu and trying to run a marathon , you can walk around fine but under heavy demand you will die in the arse in that marathon , this can easily convert to 25% loss of yield and the plants still look alright not wilted sticks

Off course its easy to manage on a small scale system tucked away in white coat surrounds so to speak , but if you are any bigger than a small room and running with buckets, tank water , dam water , bore water etc like many of us do, I found this to be the easist way that works 100% , I have gone full year cycle and cannot see a single fault from seed to clone to flower , they are back to how I know they can be and I will do it from here on in .

Real simple .

Swimming pool Chorine granuals of the Calcium variety and not the long life stuff , and a bottle of Chlorine remover ( Sodium Thiosulphate ) , its what they use for taking chlorine out of water for aquariums . both to be had from your pool and spa shop for under $30 the pair .

my tank is 300 ltrs and with another 100 ltrs as a top up tank , I ph adjust the water first because chlorine works best at ph 5-6 my raw water is ph8.3 , I use I level teaspoon of Chlorine which gives me about 40ppm and kills everything in the tank , I pump it around for about 1/2 hour and then add 1/2 teaspoon of the remover , ten minutes later chlorine reading is zero and my tank is sterile , nutrient is added and tanks is being feed straight away , my spare tank is given a dose of 1/3 teaspoon and I dont dechlorinate this as its pretty low by the time I need it , the plants are booming all year and I cannot fault them anywhere .

Hope it helps someone having a hard time with water molds and the prick called Pythium .

Rod

Do you dose the system when the plans have already established a root system? if not, what happens when it's time for a nutrient change and you use the same diseased source of water, wont you be back to square one. :scratchin

If it can be sterilized with the plants already established and the chlorine isnt going to harm the roots it sounds like an excellent idea. :thumbsup

The top up tank which is sterelized gets me from one exhange to the next , I dump weekly then I repeat with a new lot of water the dose cycle again ( Im not in a bubbler Im on drippers and return to to tank ) , any water that touchess the plants is sterile , also remember that Ive been doing it for a while now so my stock going in total disease free , this is about keeping it that way easily , the good of this is that I know I have a sterile source water because I can dose high enough to kill any pathagen and not worry about the plants being burnt , then I can instantly well 10min or so remove all the chlorine from the system , I could have 2 300 ltre tanks but its not practicle for me room wise I needed a fast simple solution , I wondered in the begining whether the de-chlorinater would do anything to the nutrient solution , ph acted the same as normal and the plants look beautifull without blemish full cycle seed to flower to clone to flower 6 generations , I couldnt find any reference to it on the net only that it didnt harm fish or fish tank plants so I thought it carnt be too bad , one sceric I read somewhere I found Sodium Thiosulphate in small traces added to a nutrient feed , anyway I havent seen anything but good come out of it for me and believe me Ive had a battle with Pythium but I got this duck finally plucked :devilred:

Rod

Edited by Roadblock