Growing in pots outdoors

Hi there,l am trying to grow a couple of plants out side in my garden. How big do the pots have to be to get them right through? have tried before but think the pots might have been too small, and should l pinch out the center tips to stop them getting to big,and make them bush up. have only grown them before in garden beds and have had good results,,so this is the first time in pots and not sure how to.

thanks heinous

the pot should be as big as you can possibly get, outdoor plants will get huge if you allow them and train them as well :D on that note, get some string and a few bricks or something to that effect that you can use to tie down the plants, that way you can have a huge plant under the fence line getting the maximum amount of light possible which means bigger and better buds for you in the long run :P

Heres my way of doing it, plant in a pot at least 12 inch high and 6 across. When the plants are about 8 to 12 inch high drill a 3/8 hole in the lip of the pot.

Get a 12 inch piece of string and gently tie it over the top of the plant where there is only stem and no nodes. Pull the top of the plant down until it is right angles and tie the string into the hole you drilled. What will happen this will expose the whole length of the stem to sunlight and create many more bud sites. Do not pinch the tip! When you get the tallest stem gowing to a decent length again drill another hole in the lip and repeat the process with the next stem. This is the best way to create a mother plant believe me. You are opening the inside of the plant to the sunlight and creating more tips. This is a much more efficient method than tipping the plant. Just make sure when you tie down the top of the plant down you do it slowly and gently, like making love to a beautiful woman.

The smaller the pot , the smaller the root system you will create therefore a small pot is much more labour intensive and it requires more frequent watering and fertilising. Dont be afraid to use hydro nutes outdoors, however in my experience slow release ferts is best combined with chicken manure when they start to head.

I was ready your post about growing in pots outdoors, you should germinate your seeds in a flat and then place them in a standard potting mixed that you would purchased from a department store such Kmart or Walmart, and mix it with a high nitrogen fertilizer, taking the you understand the first three numbers on plant food or fertilizer boxes or bags, when the plants are young they require all 16 nutrients

Omocote will give you a could start and can fertigate ( which means supplemnted fertilzing with good water soulable fertilizer such as Peters, or Miracle, get the one for one for acid loving plants, and with clones you caqn use about 1/4 strength that it requires. when the plants are big enough you can transplant to bigger containers 1 gallon or bigger, and use mainentence fertilizer with a Nitrogen number in the teens or higher, and mixes it with decompose fir bark,sand and with nutrients (mix in it bucket or wheel barrel and fertigate every 10 days with high nitrogen. Just so that think I am not blowing wind my firend, I am degrees in Agriculture and Enviromental Horticulturem and I am working on a Bachelor,s in Scinece in the Field of Plant Science. Hope that this hepls ( if yo need more info drop me message here.