Curing Commericially Grown Bud

Hi guys,

As most of you have probably experienced with commercially grown/bought weed, it often hasn't been flushed properly and has plenty of shite in there from the nutes and it usually isn't dried and cured properly either (I'm assuming because the moisture increases the weight, and therefor value?)

Is it possible to do anything with this weed to make it better to smoke? I'm desperately trying not to spin my weed since I quite cigarettes, but with the dope I've been getting lately, if I smoke it green it nearly kills my lungs and throat.

From what I have read on here, if the buds ARE dried and cured correctly, it shouldn't be quite so bad.

So, my questions:

1. Is it possible to correctly dry and cure comercially grown weed?

2. Can you suggest the most efficient (read: shortest length of time) method to do this?

3. Is there any minimum / maximum amount to cure? I usually buy 1/4 to 1/2 oz at a time, and when it's just been purchased some of it must be used for smoking immediately :peace:.

Hope you can help, and in turn, I hope this helps others.

:smoke :yingyang

-Raver spec

Heya Specs

as lonmg as you dont mind losing the flavour .. you keep the thc ... do the water cure .. takes 7 days tho' ... weigh your bud down under water..change the water every day.. keep it immersed and on day 7 you can take it out and quick dry it in fornt of a fan heater or some other heat source... apparantly it works a treat .. gets all nutes, chloryphyl, bugs, dust .. all other crap out ... leaving you with pure, smooth, tasteless, aromaless buds.... some people dont mind the last two conditions, it puts me off.

Don't know of any other treatments other than what I do ... put yer dampish buds in a paperbag for a few hours.. stick the bag in a cupboard and that sux quite a bit of moisture out ... dont leave for too long as you will end up with bud that turns to dust when crushed.

:smoke

if you can handle waiting a week, put a pasta sauce jar in the oven for like 5 mins untill it gets fairly hot (be careful they really dont like being baked lol ) then dump your buds in that and put the lid on...check it in 5 mins and you should have a bit of a moisture build up, wipe that away, toss the buds around and check every 5-10 mins untill the jar has fully cooled down..

once the jar has cooled down, the buds should be very dry but dont worry about that all that much, just leave the lid on and put them in a dark and dry place like the top of a wardrobe that hasnt been converted into a grow room (does anyone have a wardrobe like that on this site anymore? :peace: ) or under a bed, where ever...the longer you leave it, the smoother and more tasty the buds will get...leave it for a week, it should improve noticebly, 2 weeks you'll really notice the difference BUT give them a month or 2, you wont look back :peace:

Hey raverspec, good effort on quitting the nicco.

Sometimes I have to buy and you often gotta take what you can get, even a little wet. I smoke green, like you do.

So I'll take most out of the plastic glad bag and put it in a paper bag. The buds I need dried for that night to smoke, I'll leave in the glad bag. Take the glad bag and put it on the window sill in the sun, with a light cloth over top. The bag will sweat after a while. When it does, dump out the bud and turn the bag inside out. Put the bud in the inside out bag, and let it sweat again like before. Usually can smoke that bud not too harshly after 2 sweats. Of course the chlorophil is still there if but its not as rough as wet.

Good luck there, happy tokin :peace:

HI there.

It sux that you have to buy the commercial stuff as I know what you mean how they usually try and offload it about 70% dry. I've found that using a dehydrator is excellent in fast drying. It only takes about 12hrs to dry the product straight from the plant but in your case it should only take about 1 hour. If you don't know a dehydrator is usually used to dry food material like beef (to turn into beef jerky) and fruits like bananas, strawberries, apricots etc into dried fruit-like the stuff you buy in packets and find in your cereal !

I don't usually use the dehydrator unless I need something 'on the spot' but its handy to have around just in case...! You might be able to get one for around $200-$300 or even cheaper 2nd hand. It might be a bit of a outlay but if your going to continue with the commercial stuff it might be a idea to buy one. And if your a camper etc you can make your dried food to eat without forking out the outrageous prices they charge in supermarkets and health food shops! :peace:

Yup, gotta love the dehydrators (mmmmm....beef jerky :reallyexcited: )

I bought mine from Good Guys for only $90. Fresh from the plant takes 40 minutes to get "crisp", leave it an hour and it's powder. :devilred:

The problem with dehydrators is that they can slightly reduce potency (not very noticable) and also don't get rid of the chlorophyll and is therefore a slightly harsh smoke.

Paper bag on a monitor is good. In the sun if you want it really quickly (another alternative to the sun is in front of a bright lamp covered with a black cloth, that way it absorbs heat and dries the mul.)