Liberals and Dubya

For small children, bedtime is story time, a cherished moment each night to get toasty in jammies and settle down with teddy bears, blankies, and tales of fuzzy animals, fairies, the stars and moon -- and partisan politics.

What?!

These days, even kids books aren't free from the venom being spewed back and forth in the ongoing civil war between the left and right.

Here are some recent titles that might call themselves "children's literature" but are nothing more than political propaganda with all the subtlety of a fox in socks.

"It's Just a Plant: A Children's Story of Marijuana" by Ricardo Cortes. (Magic Propaganda Mill, 44 pp., $18.95).

The story: After Jackie discovers her parents smoking pot, Mom takes her on an educational journey around town to learn about cannabis, its benefits and dangers.

Actual text: "What's that, Mommy?" asked Jackie. "Are you and Daddy smoking a cigarette?"

"No, baby," said her mother. "This is called a joint.' "

Verdict: Pictures aren't bad, and the information is important, but the touchy-feely, hippie approach -- and the whole dang concept, come to think of it -- give us a feeling worse than eating a dozen Twinkies.

"Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed!" by Katharine DeBrecht, illustrated by Jim Hummel. (Kids Ahead, 54 pp., $15.95).

The story: Tommy and Lou's profitable lemonade stand is torpedoed by liberal lawmakers and their crazy regulations.

Actual text: "Helllloo," the liberal's eyes grew wide as he gazed at the boys' money. "My, my, boys, you sure have sold a lot of lemonade."

"Oh, yes!" beamed Lou. "And we still have enough . . ."

"Yes, well," the liberal drummed his fingers on his belly. "I am Mayor Leach of Liberaland." He held out his meaty hand. "Have you paid your tax?"

Verdict: Crude yet funny pictures with the liberals bearing a striking resemblance to -- surprise -- Ted Kennedy and Hillary Rodham Clinton. Painfully long and preachy. Kids will rather eat green eggs and green ham than have you read it.

"No, George, No! The Re-Parenting of George W. Bush" by Kathy Eder, illustrated by Clay Butler. (Joy in Bloom, 32 pp., $15.95).

The story: A certain president is visited in a dream by the Truth Fairy, who gives him all kinds of important lessons.

Actual text: "Imagine that you have an important life ahead of you, George. When you grow up, you're going to be a leader in the United States. . . ."

"Yahoo! I'm going to be king of the United States when I grow up!"

Verdict: Another painful read. Too long. Too preachy. Truth Fairy's costume is disturbingly tight. Rename this one "Where the Boring Things Are."

Author:John Campanelli, Plain Dealer reporter

Date:Sunday, October 23, 2005

Source:www.cleveland.com

Copyright:© 2005 The Plain Dealer.

"It's Just a Plant: A Children's Story of Marijuana" by Ricardo Cortes.
Where was that when I was a kid. :peace:

lol