newbie pics

fishee

thanks for the kudos tboat...but the real test is at harvest time.  I've made a bunch of non-lethal mistakes along the way (ok, so y'all were right about the halogens, :)), but thanks to some great advice I've gotten here I think I'm on the right track now :)

Hey pipeman, I was reading your stuff in the general forum...dolomite is crushed coral.  It will help to buffer pH if it is already somewhat stable (around 7.0 or even up to about 8.2), but will do little to raise pH if pH is already acidic (below 7.0)  Buffering means that the pH will stay stable longer and does not impact harsh changes in pH. Just a little FYI from the fishguy :) 

I went hydro because there's something about not being able to see the roots that bugs me.  I guess I'm scared of dirt, :)!  I can only hope my next crop looks as good as yours does :)

-fishee

hey thanks for the info fishee! :)

I read a couple of posts at overgrow.com that claimed a little dolomite lime in the mix would prevent the PH from going too high or too low. I guess this is somewhat consistent with what you said except for the fact that it won't correct a pre-existing PH problem.

now, to see if the local nurseries sell dolomite lime lol lol

Nice work fishee. lol

I have probably missed something, but how do you plan to contain the plants after they start flowering with the new light? I think you mentioned you have a new 1000w??

As you probably know, once they start receiving that light, they will go ape shit and your float is certain to sink.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to go back through the whole thread. Just wondering what you have planned?

Do you keep the 12/12 cycle during this flushing period? And, since my water is easily changed, if I flush my entire system and refill with "pure" water, will this decrease the time it takes to flush the plants, if I repeat the process daily?

I keep the 12/12 going until the dark period, with your system I would change the water 3 - 4 times over the 14 days of flushing (make sure the water is aged), for the 48 hour dark period I shut down every thing except for the fan and ventilation.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif

You can also find dolomite in aquarium stores (in the U.S. anyways)...and I should probably clarify something, I referred to dolomite as crushed coral, which is what most aquarists use it as...technically, it's not crushed coral, but rather mined from the earth, like limestone. It is used as a substitute for "real" crushed coral because it dissloves faster and has a more immediate impact on pH, especially in more acidic environments. Not that any of this is important to you, but I got an email from someone un-named who called me on the fact that I referred to it as crushed coral. So there's my correction lol

Regarding my plants sinking when they start to really bud out, I have two responses. First, if it looks like the styro platform is going to sink I can easily thread some coarse-thread drywall screws into it and tie it to the ceiling; since the water level in the tank remains constant (as the water evaporates only the level in the sump changes) I don't foresee much of an issue, and secondly, *IF* I get so many buds that I gotta worry about my platform sinking....well, I'll be an INCREDIBLY happy little fish lol

Peace!

-fishee

*IF* I get so many buds that I gotta worry about my platform sinking....well, I'll be an INCREDIBLY happy little fish

Yeah, it would be really terrible wouldn't it. ::): :lol: :lol:

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/glasses/smokin.gif