growing on balcony?

hi

i just ordered some skunk seeds for my first ever attempt at growing my own. i am thinking of planting maybe 5 of them and trying to get a female which i'll then concentrate on growing on my balcony. what i'm wondering is, how risky is it to grow a plant in a pot on my balcony?

i'm on the top (2nd) floor of an apartment block in sydney. there's a nice big tree in front of the balcony, and the balcony walls are solid and 3-4 foot high

i guess i got a bit worried when i read another topic just now about the smell. is just one plant likely to be smellable from next door's balcony?

and if i meet with first-timer luck & success and the plant reaches 3-4 foot high, can i crop the top of the plant without damaging my crop too much?

cheers

sausage

i guess with the smell i will have to wait and see how strong it gets

dude i have a few small plants that are like 45cm tall which are not all that stinky in comparison to a skunk strain and by god to they smell out the house when i open the grow room :peace: your gonna have some issues with smell without a doubt :thumbdown

companion planting might be able to hide the smell a bit, expecially if you use strongly scented flowers lol

Hey sausage I live in Sydney and I wouldn't even consider growing on a balcony unless its curtained off to all and sundry. You may have seen how other apartment dwellers may enclose there balconies with bamboo or wood type products like a fence that wraps around the length of the balcony to obscure other people's view in order to give you more privacy. That would be the 1st thing that I would set up and pay close attention too if you plan on growing on your balcony(even if its just 1 plant). I don't know what suburb u live in or wheather other people are facing you but you must consider that growing on your balcony is probably quite risky even if you fence it off as you will have the smell issue that others have mentioned. I know fencing it off will obscure the sun but if u have seen those commercially available one's they still allow a little sunlight in while still giving privacy to the balcony. You could set up a fence system and try opening more sun gaps in the fence to where the plants will be placed and camaflagauged with other plants as well. Hopefully you can change your seeds to a less odorous variety.

A lesson that you have probably learnt now is to research the seed that you actually want before you buy it for the conditions that you plan to grow them in. Remember that since your on a balcony you want a plant that doesn't really grow that tall and odorous and is resistant to disease and mould. Hope this has helped-best of luck with the set up :thumbsup