Canna Curried Snags

Guest Eikel

Title :: Canna Curried Snags

Author :: Eikel

Category :: Main Courses

Ingredients ::

• - Sausages, 1Kg (preferrably plain pork snags).
  • - Curry-powder, brand really doesn't matter (5 tablespoons).
  • - CannaButter - 250g
  • - Cream or preferrably, coconut-cream (600ml)
  • - Green, yellow, organge and white vegtables (frozen or fresh - 1kg).
  • - Stock (optional, usually use chicken or vegtable - 500ml).
  • - Cornflour (optional, for thickening) (few tablespoons).
  • - Water (tap-water).

Description ::

One of those "Mum's cooking" dishes that really warms you up with both it's home-style goodness and curry-flavoured "heat".

The quantities vary depending on how big a batch you want to make, the ones I listed above gives a good sized meal for 4-6 people.

Get yourself a big pot (5ltr+) and fill with water to the level where when boiling it won't spill over and add your stock).

Ok, first step is to prepare the snags. If not using stock, I reccommend chopping the snags into bite-sized pieces (usuall 2-3

pieces per snag) and then boiling them in 3-4 litres of water for around 45mins-1hour.

If you ARE using stock, then feel free to pre-fry the snags before popping them into the water (as long as your sausages aren't

extremely fatty, don't worry about the juices going into the water from the pan).

After boiling your snags or bringing your pre-fried snags to the boil, you can add the vegtables, I use whatever frozen veggie

mixes I have in the freezer - I reccommend Cauliflower, Peas, Corn, Carrots, Celery, Potatoes, Sweet-potatoe, Pumpkin... whatever

country-type veggies you like.

So after allowing the veggies to boil and soften and some of the water to evaporate, you can add your cream, coconut cream is preferrable

if you like a south-eastern type curry. If you like a hot and hard west-indian style curry, add the normal cream.

Add your butter directly after adding the cream, and stir and bring the whole pot to the boil, while boiling add your Curry-powder,

I use 5 tablespoons with the volume of stew I end up with, you may need to adjust your quantities depending on how big your pot is.

Allow to cool down to a slow simmer and leave for 30 minutes then check the sauce consistancy, if not thick enough for your liking add small amounts of

cornflour while stirring to thicken the mixture up.

Once the mixture is thickend to your liking, add a 1/2 cup of water and bring the pot back to the boil then serve.

Goes really well with either normal or saffron rice.

View Recipe