Root Rot

Hi Stonerz

I noticed a slighly manky .. kinda rotting smell in one of my tubs today .... no big surprise to find two of 5 nets had some of their roots turned a little brownie .... the temp in the nute rez was 26 .. somehow ... anyway, looks like there is a little rot already and I was wondering if anyone knows how to treat them ... I'm growing Aero so the roots are hangin in the air and acumulating at the bottom of my top tub ... Chato ... where are you dude? I know I was warned .... no idea how the temp button got turned up ... sheeee IT

this is how they looked on Sept 4th

http://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...pe=post&id=8438

thi s is what the roots looked like .. no pix of the rot but it should give an idea of how they're hangin ( ::P: )

http://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...pe=post&id=8460

this is what it's turned into now and I wanna do whatever I can to fix her .....

http://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...pe=post&id=9036

any suggestions gratefully accepted :scratchin

Hrm, I don't grow aeroponics, but I'm instinctively thinking the following for some reason (it may be the wrong thing to do but heh, I think it makes sense).

If possible, trim out as much of the rotted root as you can without hurting any of the healthy roots.

Treat with DM Guardian + Oxyplus in your feeds, or alternatives like pythoff.

To try and speed them back into growing you could treat them with a vitamin-b booster like Superthrive or the other one (Nutriboost?).

Quick reaction to problems with your system is the key, it doesn't take the plant long to become badly infected if the conditions are left to stay.

Good luck mate, hope it works out well for you :P

Hey thanks Eikel

yep.. it all happens fast .. just was in checking them and they just look ... less healthy than before ... I mean above net .. can you get these products from a Hardware/Garden store or are they Hydro shop type things ?

Thanks for the info .. the bud trimming scissors become the root surgery instrument :P on the list of jobs for tonight ... it's actually the tub with the clonez where the problem is ... the babies I threw in with their Mamas to flower ... so the roots under each basket are hardly to the bottom yet .... they're wably as hell coz they've stretched as high as their Mamas and haven't got the root mass yet .. I guess thew rot hasn't ben helping .. it is fast coz at midday they were not nearly as bad as tonight .. :P

yep.. it all happens fast .. just was in checking them and they just look ... less healthy than before ... I mean above net .. can you get these products from a Hardware/Garden store or are they Hydro shop type things ?

I think some Bunnings do carry some DutchMaster items, but I haven't seen them there personally. I buy all those goods from the Hydro store, however there is many many more types to use.

I don't really know if many or any garden store would have root-treatment chems for hydro systems (maybe coco, but def not aero), however if that's your only option I'd say try your luck.

You could also get some pure h202 from a chemist, I think Hydrogen Peroxide is good, use at 2-3ml per litre of working solution.

Anyways, good luck with your quest, go out and Nuke that pythium bastard in the bud! :P

You could also get some pure h202 from a chemist, I think Hydrogen Peroxide is good, use at 2-3ml per litre of working solution.

ACK!!! how stoned am I - I meant 2-3ml per TEN litres of working solution, not per liter.

Don't use 2-3ml per litre (unless someone who's used h202 before says that's ok).

Musha i know zilch bout aeroponicis, but what i've read is increase of air in nute solution is helpful.

I personally use cannzym (hydro shop) for root problems when growing in media,breaks down dead roots its xcellent IMO, note it cannot be used in conjunction with hydrogen peroxide.

Hope you win the battle :P

Edited by Frazzle

Hi Fraz

just finished triming the dead bits ... whoo hoo .. somewhat stinky shit .... the 2 plants affected are pretty much stunted compared to the other 3 .. the 3 good ones are in full blossom .. these 2 look like they're still vegging ... see how it goes but after searching wtf pythium meant ...:P thanks Eikel .. amazing what I dont know ... they are little bastards hey? a few differernt strains too ..

Guys, I do have hydrogen peroxide and I am due to flush all the tubs tomorrow - if I am reading this right I should add 2-3ml x 5 (50 litre tubs) - is this a good strategy just for root health in general ? if so I should add it to the other 3 tubs also...

I also haven't given them the Pk 13/14 yet .. should I wait a bit longer u reckon?

Coz I am due to flush tomorrow I think I will do same as last flush .. leave them on pure water for a couple of days with the Hyd Peroxide and some rooting hormone and let them drink that for 2 days or so before adding the flowering nutes and megabud again.

Bloody digi cam batteries are flat so no pix tonight :P ::D: makes a change!

Any advice very much appreciated ... I'm within sight of the end of my first grow and still not sure about the finessing of nutes/megabud/pk13/14 ... I know flushingz good :reallyexcited: (can hardly wait for that one) :smoke

Its a bit late now but at the start of each grow you can use beneficial bacteria (bio bugs), they will feed off any disease that tries to attack the roots but like Elkel has indicated, you will need to dump all the nutrients and flush with clean water and H2O2. It will kill the Pythium and you will notice after a week or so that new healthy white roots will make their way to the bottom of your tub.

Every 2-3 days, add the correct amount of H2O2 to prevent the disease from returning.

If you use Oxyplus, make sure you keep it off your skin because it burns like hell :reallyexcited:

Hey bro,

Can't remember what stage your at but if your into flower and it aint to bad maybe you can ride it out. If your still vegging then you should get rid of the prob completely and just veg for a little longer. Keep your temps a bit lower than normal during recovery to help slow down the spread and doing what you've done should help. I cut and spray affected areas with a fairly strong h202 mix and when i think it's coming good ditch the h202 for cannazym. I wouldn't trim too many roots during flower unless the prob was spreading rapidly. Flushing a few times a day, which is fairly easy in your set-up, will help heaps.

ounce of prevention is worth a pound of nice bud

good luck

c